Join our gene pool.
Scientific Researcher / Sr. Scientific Researcher, Protein Expression and Purification
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
23andMe, the leading personal genetics company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. The Therapeutics team leverages this data to discover and develop novel medicines to treat important diseases.
We are seeking an outstanding Scientific Researcher / Senior Scientific Researcher to contribute to a collaborative, cross-functional research team responsible for expression, purification and biochemical/biophysical characterization of antibodies and diverse protein targets. Strong, in-depth technical expertise with recombinant protein expression, purification and characterization is required. Successful candidates will also be independent and creative researchers, capable of experimental design, execution and troubleshooting.
What you'll do
- Help manage the production of mammalian proteins and antibodies to support therapeutic development programs, from construct generation through purification and biophysical/analytical characterization
- Interface and collaborate closely with other groups (Analytics, Antibody Engineering, and Assay) within Protein Sciences
- Consult with Therapeutic Project Leads to manage and prioritize protein reagent requirements for multiple projects
- Utilize mammalian (HEK293 & CHO), insect and bacterial (E.coli) transient expression systems for protein production to support therapeutics projects
- Perform protein purification using a broad variety of chromatographic methods using FPLC/AKTA systems
- Produce, engineer, label and/or optimize protein reagents for use in biochemical and functional screening assays
- Manage CRO workflows and progress on protein expression/purification related projects
- Generate, analyze, document and communicate high quality data in team meetings
What you'll bring
- B.S. (+ 5 years' industry experience), Master's (+ 3 years' industry experience) or PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related field
- Proven track record of success in the optimization of all aspects of production for mammalian proteins
- Excellent working knowledge of protein expression and purification techniques, protein structure and stability
- Strong organizational and communication skills and the ability to work independently in a team environment
- Prior work experience in an antibody-development setting
- Experience with protein analytical characterization such as SEC-MALS, RP-HPLC, DLS and mass spectrometry
- Prior experience in protein production support for a structural biology group
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://mediacenter.23andme.com/therapeutics/.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back