Join our gene pool.
Mountain View, California, United States
We are looking for a passionate and motivated Database Engineer to join our growing team of DBAs. You will be supporting both legacy databases running on physical servers in a colo and newer databases running in AWS. You will be a key member of the team which migrates our legacy databases into AWS.
What you'll do
- Deploy, maintain, and monitor MySQL server instances in physical and virtual environments
- Develop and maintain replication, backup, and disaster recovery strategies
- Ensure security, privacy and data integrity in all MySQL environments
- Optimize and tune MySQL server performance
- Improve monitoring, perform database capacity and usage planning
- Write and maintain tools to automate tasks and database operation
- Perform routine scheduled and occasionally unscheduled maintenance
- Participate in on-call support rotation of MySQL environment
- Implement, document and maintain database practices
What you'll bring
- Expert in SQL
- Minimum of 3 years of MySQL administration in a production OLTP environment. MySQL Certification a plus
- Experience with AWS RDS services
- Strong knowledge of MySQL performance tuning
- Practical knowledge of MySQL storage engine locking and experience with multiple engines including InnoDB and MyISAM
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting MySQL replication
- Experience with database backup, restoration and DR planning and execution
- Experience with Experience with at least one major scripting language (python preferred)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage priorities in a fast paced environment
- Previous 24x7 experience
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent
- Familiarity with Oracle 12 and Oracle Golden Gate
- Knowledge of the genetics and/or genetic testing industry is a plus.
- Familiarity with regulatory compliance requirements
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.