Join our gene pool.
Research & Science
Population Geneticist - Ancestry Research
Mountain View, California, United States
We are seeking colleagues with extensive training and experience in statistical and population genetics to join our highly productive, world-class Ancestry Research & Development team. Our team develops novel algorithms to interpret the ancestry data of individual 23andMe customers and works to publish novel findings regarding human genetics and population history. We are seeking team members who are excited to develop cutting edge features that will reach millions of people.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
Our Research Team
23andMe’s Research Team prides itself on driving cutting edge, industrial-scale science that makes an impact that belies the team’s size, in an environment and culture that fosters creativity, innovation, collaboration and fun. Our science has garnered the respect of many members of the broader scientific community. As 23andMe continues to grow, we are looking for people who are excited by the potential discoveries we can make with our innovative research framework.
See our recent publications here: https://www.23andMe.com/for/scientists/
Who you are
Successful candidates will work within and across teams to support our research efforts. The job requires strong computational skills, a deep understanding of human genetics, and excellent writing abilities. Candidates for senior positions should also have multiple years of experience leadership and of executing independently developed ideas.
What you'll do
- Develop methods and perform analyses that will advance the understanding of human genetics and shape 23andMe’s consumer product
- Initiate long-term R&D projects that bring research advances into 23andMe’s consumer product
- Work collaboratively with members of the 23andMe Research, Engineering, and Product teams
- Provide scientific support to a variety of teams across the company in a way that makes scientific knowledge accessible to a wide audience
- For senior scientists: supervise, develop, and mentor junior scientists. Manage teams to execute complex projects.
What you'll bring
- Ph.D. in Population Genetics, Statistical Genetics or a related field (e.g., Genetics, Computer Science, Statistics, Bioinformatics, Physics, Mathematics)
- Evolutionary or population genetics research experience; focus on human population genetics is a plus.
- Experience in algorithm development or machine learning approaches
- Hands-on experience working with very large data sets in Python or R; experience with C/C++ is a plus.
- At ease in a Linux environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Enthusiasm for working in a highly collaborative environment.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe, Inc. is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back