Join our gene pool.
Facilities Maintenance Technician
South San Francisco, California, United States
The Workplace Experience Maintenance Technician (WEMT) is accountable for the performance of day to day maintenance and repairs to building equipment, security operations and health and safety compliance in 23andMe labs and office spaces.
This is a key position that functions as the go-to person for all Facilities Operations in the assigned buildings. The position routinely requires after hours and weekend work as well as being on-call for site emergencies often requiring immediate response.
This role will be stationed in the South San Francisco (SSF) lab space with routine service calls to the Mountain View Headquarters office. The selected candidate will report to the Facilities Operations Manager.
What you'll do
- Daily lab/site tours to ensure compliance is maintained and corrective actions taken
- Performs minor electrical maintenance to include but not be limited to replacement or repair of fixtures (e.g. wall switches and outlets, incandescent and fluorescent bulbs and tubes, ballast, sockets, fuses, minor appliances, cords, etc.) using appropriate hand, power and specialty tools.
- Performs minor plumbing maintenance (e.g. replacement or repair of leaks in drains and faucets, unclogging of drains, replacing drain hoses on dishwashers and similar devices, etc.).
- Performs minor painting, carpentry and masonry work (e.g. preparing surfaces and using brush, sprayer, or roller to apply paints, stains, and varnishes, hanging doors, fitting locks and handles, etc.).
- Reconfigures, installs, positions, and remounts modular offices and space (e.g. furniture, wall panels, work surfaces, storage bins, lighting, file cabinets, etc.) to accommodate user needs and maximize office space using various hand, power and specialty tools, dollies and hand trucks.
- Maintain and update SDS documents
- Receive and complete occupant requests for service
- Assemble and install furniture and fixtures
- Assist with Monthly Safety audits of facilities
- Operate HVAC and other mechanical equipment
- Provide onsite backup for Shipping and Receiving and Administration
What you'll bring
- 3-5 years in similar roles in a biotech, pharmacy lab, or high tech environment.
- Journeyman level skills in at least one or more (preferred) of traditional building trades such as Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, Carpentry, etc.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to manage expectations, adapt to a variety of personalities and build and nurture relationships
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with a focus on crisp execution and seeing tasks to full completion
- Flexible with workload and schedule. Must be comfortable with constantly changing priorities in a dynamic environment
- Can work independently and as a team player
- Proficient with MS Office programs (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and Google Docs/Mail/Calendar
- Able to walk or stand several hours per day and to lift up to 30 pounds
- Available for on call or after hours support and occasional domestic travel
- Clean driving record and valid California Driver’s License
- FMP (Facility Management Professional) credential from IFMA
- Proactive and self-driven with a can-do attitude
- A thoughtful mindset
- Outstanding commitment to customer service and quality
- Great sense of humor
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.