Join our gene pool.
Director of Accounting
Mountain View, California, United States
23andMe is looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Director of Accounting to join our growing Finance team. We are looking for someone with in-depth experience on accounting operations in a faced paced, high performing environment. This role will initially focus on Revenue/COS area including ownership over the inventory function. We are a growing team and this will be a hands-on role requiring deep involvement in several significant areas, but also the vision to see the big picture. This position will report to our Corporate Controller and initially manage a team of five.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you’ll do
- Play a leadership role in the day to day operations of the Controller’s organization, working with members of the accounting team, as well as cross-functionally with groups such as Supply Chain, Laboratory Operations, and Engineering.
- Ensure a timely monthly, quarterly and annual close of related GL areas; Initial areas of primary focus are Revenue/COS, Inventory)
- Work cross-functionally with multiple internal teams to processes to calculate, track and record transactions within significant business processes; This role will be an agent for software solutions and improvements that drive efficiency;
- Strong participant in the analysis function, partnering with FP&A in delivering feedback and insights on results, anomalies, and business drivers;
- Researching relevant accounting literature, writing memos or SOP’s, updating, and building Excel models as well as building and implementing systems used our operations;
- Analyze and report on the monthly results to provide meaningful insight to the business;
- Partner with the business to understand reporting needs as it relates to new business channels or products; develop systems and processes to address those needs as new channels or products are launched;
- Prepare documentation and memos for the annual external audit;
- Assist the Finance team in developing and documenting enhanced policies, procedures, processes, and controls.
What you’ll bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, CPA preferred
- 10+ years of accounting experience with an emphasis on operational experience in an in-house corporate accounting setting
- 5+ years people management experience
- Strong people management experience including managing managers and having an organizational vision that leans towards staff development and culture setting that aligns with corporate values and objectives;
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and organization skills
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite, including strong Excel skills and ERP software experience (NetSuite experience a plus)
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, SEC reporting and well functioning internal control structures.
- Ability to quickly learn and understand systems; general knowledge of database structures a plus
- Combination of public accounting/auditing and corporate accounting experience preferred.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Able to adapt to changing priorities and work on multiple projects with accuracy and efficiency, while keeping to deadlines.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back