Join our gene pool.
Site Reliability Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What we're looking for
We are seeking a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) to assist us in supporting our computing environment. Strong computation and analytical skills are required as you will be working with other SRE teams in developing and supporting the computing infrastructure that our researchers use.
As part of the SRE team, you will engage in a highly collaborative environment with the rest of Engineering, Database Administrators, and other IT professionals to identify requirements and priorities that meet our system and business needs.
What you’ll do
- Build code that manages the computing infrastructure, both locally and “in the cloud”
- Assist in the creation and implementation of network computing standards in data centers and virtual computing environments like AWS
- Use tools and services like New Relic, Sumologic, Cloudflare, and Cloudhealth to assist with the following:
- Create and adapt software to improve the operations of these systems
- Provide examples for other engineers.
- Solve new and re-occurring system problems
- Participate in 24x7 technical support of key infrastructure
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
- Perform other related duties as assigned
What you’ll bring
- Technical BS degree or equivalent work experience
- Working knowledge of at least one of Python, Ruby, Perl and/or significant exposure to different programming languages and paradigms
- Working knowledge with git, subversion, or other VCSs
- A systems mindset - you’re always thinking “How can I automate this for every use case?”
- Big picture problem solving mindset - you’re always thinking “What happens when (not if) this fails?”
- Able to work independently with minimal direction
- Superb communication skills. You can sus out what needs to be done even when faced with incomplete requirements
- Experience with cloud computing: AWS, Google cloud, etc.
- Experience with SGE, SLURM or equivalent
- Comfortable with at least one of the following: Puppet, Chef, or Ansible
- Experience utilizing containers and virtual machines
- Experience running computing pipelines used in genomic or similar processes
- A science background in biology, chemistry, physics, etc.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back