Join our gene pool.
Head of Biomarker Translation
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
The Head of Biomarker Translation will provide scientific and strategic expertise in predictive diagnostic biomarker development to project teams across therapeutic areas in alignment with 23andMe’s therapeutic strategy, provide scientific input and support to drug discovery project teams for developing appropriate pharmacodynamic biomarkers for use in dose selection and key research and development go/no-go decisions, and manage cross-functional initiatives to incorporate genomic data into Therapeutics development decision-making.
This person will be expected to exert broad influence across the organization, both scientifically and strategically, including contributing to 23andMe’s many research functions. This individual will possess excellent team leadership skills, including the ability to develop a high-functioning team and to wield influence across multiple functions within the organization, demonstrating collaborativeness with academic, industry, advocacy and regulatory thought leaders. As potential therapeutic drugs move forward, this individual is expected to recruit and supervise a biomarker team that will work in a cross-functional, matrix organization to advance therapeutic assets. The successful individual will be passionate about his or her focus on patients and will inspire others. He/she will join a dynamic, enthusiastic and collaborative team of innovative scientists who are employing state-of-the-art technologies to understand the genotypic basis of disease, to elucidate mechanisms underlying gene-related diseases across all therapeutic areas, and to discover new opportunities for therapeutic intervention.
What you’ll do
- Direct the evaluation, development and implementation of new and existing tissue-based and imaging technologies, including working with other 23andMe functions as appropriate, that will be used for patient selection or surrogates for efficacy and safety assessment in the clinic
- Explore genetic and genomic biomarkers in consultation with our Computational Biologists and Statistical Geneticists, including specifying parameters and requirements for evaluation for use in identifying and characterizing potential patient populations for clinical study
- Provide guidance and strategic input to project teams to select, validate, and implement clinical biomarkers, in support of agreed upon target product profiles
- Ensure that the design and conduct of integrated biomarker programs will support regulatory submissions when applicable
- Relate science/mechanisms of action to expected clinical profile in diverse therapeutic areas
- Contribute to the utilization of human genetic information in clinical drug development
- Support and work with other development functions to provide cohesive leadership across development
- Support the success of new and existing collaborations/alliances with academic institutions, pharma/biotech companies, and regulatory agencies
- Identify pivotal resource gaps within and outside of Therapeutics Development and effectively influence to ensure projects continue to advance efficiently
- Recruit, hire and/or contract, and supervise multi-talented individuals with tailored expertise to execute on specific translational program needs
- Work with senior leadership to help represent the company as a senior clinical spokesperson at appropriate scientific, medical, regulatory and other professional meetings
- Be passionate about the company’s mission with an ability to inspire and motivate others
What you’ll bring
- PhD degree or equivalent; MD or equivalent is valued but not required
- Substantial industry biomarker development experience with clinical-stage assets and a proven track record of quality publications
- Experience with gaining FDA and/or other health authority approval for companion diagnostic tests
- Demonstrated ability to build and motivate high-performing teams; able to delegate effectively and hold others accountable; able to influence without authority (across other functions within the company): and able to take a role-up-your-sleeves approach as required
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external multi-disciplinary research and development teams
- Ability to bring new collaborations and oversee collaborations with academic investigators, industry partners and regulatory agencies
- Working knowledge of genetic/genomic and bioinformatics technologies and their application to translational approaches
- Excellent written and verbal communication capabilities
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back