Join our gene pool.
Senior Cloud Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
A Senior Cloud Engineer at 23andMe is responsible for building frameworks, services and the cloud infrastructure of the company. In this role, the engineer also provides guidance to the cloud infrastructure teams on improving the developers productivity and modernizing tech stacks
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you'll do
- Design, implement and maintain AWS infrastructure and services.
- Work to harden, enhance, document, establish process and generally improve the operability and supportability of our systems in the cloud.
- Design, implement, and execute Backup and Recovery and Business Continuity processes
- Drive continuous improvement of home-grown systems and adopt newer AWS capabilities
- Lead a team of engineers to achieve engineering goals and service metrics
- Provide guidance on platform solutions and best practices to internal teams; create useful tooling and shared services to help scale engineering
- Follow DevOps principles in implementing security controls in the cloud infrastructure;
- 5-10 years of experience in Engineering, DevOps or Cloud systems roles, strong familiarity with the principles of DevOps and Agile development;
- 2 years of hands-on experience developing cloud applications and infrastructure (AWS strongly preferred)
- Excellent understanding/working knowledge of the public cloud infrastructure and services in AWS (IAM, VPC, CloudWatch, Systems Manager, S3, RDS, Route53, Lambda, AWS Config, etc.) is a strong plus;
- Experience building infrastructure as code using CloudFormation, Ansible, Chef and/or similar tools.
- Understanding of software development lifecycle models, as well as the approaches to implement the AWS Well-Architected Framework;
- Strong technical abilities in AWS Python and SQL : problem solving, coding and debugging skills
- Fluency with one or more scripting/coding languages (e.g. bash, Python,Git, Jenkins, Bitbucket)
- Demonstrated experience as a technical lead or people manager.
- Relevant AWS certifications are a plus but not required.
Communication and interpersonal skills:
- Proven focus on teamwork and collaborative interaction with operations and development teams and other departments.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Can-do attitude, motivation and ability to prioritize and execute tasks with minimal supervision.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back