Join our gene pool.
Head of Design
Sunnyvale, California, United States
23andMe is looking for a design visionary that has a wealth of experience in building world-class product UX, product design and marketing design teams. You have a strong visual aesthetic and an eye for creating world class experiences. You are passionate about health, our consumers, their user perspectives and the brand journey they are on. We are looking for an exceptional design leader, thinker and communicator to take the brand and product design to the next level and pioneer uncharted territory. You will be responsible for working closely with Product, Insights, Engineering and Marketing to produce a one-of-a kind brand experience - and you excel at building strong cross-functional relationships in a fast-paced organization. You’re an expert at communicating down, up and sideways, so everyone is aware and in sync.
You will lead the product and marketing design teams at 23andMe, but ultimately serve the customer. Your day to day will involve designing amazing user experiences and visuals within the product with the team, but also time spent zooming out to provide big picture design leadership to all design teams. You know how to tell stories, on any platform, that drives engagement. You have a pulse on creative trends in digital marketing and culture and a creative sensibility that extends across content genres. It’s critical you work closely with our marketing team to help deliver campaigns that effectively support our product launches and site promotions. You have an understanding of how big and little improvements drive a business forward - and you can do more than just come up with big ideas, you know how to get them done.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you’ll do
- Lead 23andMe product and marketing design teams, including UI/UX research, interaction and visual design.
- Expand and perfect our in-house design process. As experiences move from requirements to design to execution, we will look to you to ensure our designs meet brand expectations while driving business results. You will play a critical role in creating a brand accessible to everyone, and making our product understandable and actionable.
- Mentor and grow a talented team of product designers, user researchers, and content strategists to sharpen their craft and deepen their impact. Set clear goals, manage project loads, and ensure high-quality deliverables. Someone who empowers growth and supports design decisions across all teams.
- Champion the consumer. Obsess over the consumer. Empathize with the consumer. You will drive visual and UX design, content strategy and user research across the company in the pursuit of consistent and high quality experiences.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product management, scientists, marketing, engineering to develop and evolve product and marketing research, strategy, roadmap.
- Willing to take risks and push design boundaries - and has a clear POV that can articulate a concept and hold their opinion, while balancing feedback to get to yes/no quickly.
What you’ll bring
- 10+ years of experience in design, with 5+ years of experience managing high-performing and creative staff, and 5+ years working collaboratively across engineering, product management and user research teams.
- Experience working on end-user facing products and experiences.
- Passion to be the voice of design with visibility across our entire organization
- Design leadership experience across the entire product lifecycle managing multiple concurrent projects and budgets.
- User insight and a passion for making peoples' lives better through great product experiences and campaigns.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to clearly explain design decisions
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by Glassdoor as one of the Best Places to Work in 2019, MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe, Inc. is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back