Join our gene pool.
Legal and Regulatory Affairs
Privacy Program Manager
Sunnyvale, California, United States
23andMe is looking for a talented Privacy Program Manager with experience managing and implementing data protection frameworks to work closely with teams across the organization to manage Privacy Program operations. Our Privacy Team’s mission is to ensure every customer has a private and secure environment to access and explore their genetics. This is a unique opportunity to work and lead in a privacy-focused, collaborative environment, make meaningful contributions to our consumer products, and drive compliance within an evolving privacy landscape.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you’ll do
Privacy Compliance - Manage complex global privacy compliance program.
- As a key member of the Privacy team, work cross functionally to identify strategic priorities, define objectives and milestones to support development of Privacy compliance strategy.
- Support organizational compliance with laws, standards and policies relating to data protection.
- Develop and prepare dashboards and reporting tools related to Privacy initiatives and compliance.
- Maintain data inventory and internal documentation.
Privacy Training - Lead internal privacy communications and training programs.
- Educate employees on privacy principles and champion our privacy-focused company culture.
- Develop and maintain training resources and lead all-hands updates, new-hire training, and targeted group training.
- Co-chair our internal Privacy Champions program.
- Lead privacy reviews of consumer product features and internal processes, with solution orientation.
- Integrate Privacy-by-Design and Fair Information Practice Principles into data lifecycles.
What you’ll bring
- 5+ years relevant experience in the Privacy field as a Program Manager or an Analyst
- In-depth knowledge of U.S. and EU privacy laws, including CCPA and GDPR
- Knowledge of sectoral privacy laws, including consumer protection, medical, telecommunications, and marketing (CalOPPA, FTC, CalGINA, CMIA, GINA, HIPAA, HITECH, CAN-SPAM, TCPA, and TSR)
- Familiarity with security and privacy standards/frameworks
- Strong organizational, coordination, multi-tasking, and process improvement capabilities. You're able to make sense out of complex systems with many moving parts, and manage complex, multi-stakeholder projects.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills. Proven ability to interact and effectively communicate with individuals across business functions with technical and non-technical backgrounds.
- Self-motivated, reliable team-player that thrives in a fast-paced, complex work environment
- Ability to bring clarity in ambiguous situations
- CIPP certification a plus
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by Glassdoor as one of the Best Places to Work in 2019, MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe, Inc. is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.