What will you be empowered to do?
Compute Enterprise Infrastructure
Sr. Cloud Security Engineer
Sunnyvale, California, United States
23andMe is looking for a Cloud Security Engineer with extensive expertise in building and maintaining cloud compute environments. You will be joining the Cloud Infrastructure team to focus on security of the intellectual property and customer data at 23andMe. You will bring hands-on experience implementing stringent data protection measures and access controls, and automating security protections. You will be building and facilitating the adoption of tools and mechanisms that ensure the highest standards of data protection while satisfying the business requirements and supporting the needs of genetic and therapeutic research and development. Expertise with a broad range of AWS services and resource management automation are a plus.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
We are focused on proactive security and are looking for hands-on security engineers who are passionate about building and defending our company’s assets.
What You'll Do
- Participate in the modernization of customer data protection systems and measures, including backup management and orchestration.
- Use infrastructure as code tools to build and maintain the ephemeral infrastructure required to back these efforts.
- Assume ongoing ownership of, and seek to improve the existing mechanisms that safeguard access to data and systems. Facilitate and run blameless retrospectives to improve the team expertise.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on data protection and all aspects of cloud security for the security operations (SecOps) group, as well as application development and research teams.
- Participate in the design and implementation of the next generation of security monitoring, detection mechanisms, and automated remediation systems.
- Provide guidance to other teams in adopting and using the tools and components made available to them by the Cloud Infrastructure team.
- Participate with the strong internal security community in evaluating future system proposals and selecting the technology that satisfies or exceeds our security requirements and compliance obligations.
What You’ll Bring
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in securing and maintaining cloud environments housing sensitive applications and data.
- Strong understanding of public key infrastructure (PKI), general cryptographic principles. Experience managing and operationalizing HashiCorp Vault.
- Good understanding of the shared responsibility model in the cloud. Familiarity with the core AWS services and available security protections and tools. Experience managing AWS Organizations and multi-account environments is a plus.
- Experience using a range of CI/CD and infrastructure as code tools to deploy and maintain systems, including in a cloud environment.
- Experience building self-service and automation tools and deploying those tools in a cloud environment. Good command of Python and UNIX systems are a plus.
- Experience working cross-functionally with engineering and non-engineering teams to collect security and compliance requirements, understand data flows, and build solutions that meet the business needs.
- Familiarity with SRE and DevOps principles is preferred.
- Cloud provider certifications are a plus, but not required.
- B.S./M.S. in computer science, engineering or matching technical training obtained on the job.
Note: While our team is based in Sunnyvale, CA, this position is open to remote work, and we will consider exceptional candidates throughout the United States.
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe takes a market-based approach to pay, and amounts will vary depending on your geographic location. The salary range reflected here is for a candidate based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.