Join our gene pool.
Research & Science
Scientist / Senior Scientist - Computational Biology
Mountain View, CA, United States
With the world’s largest database of more than 2 million genotyped and deeply phenotyped consented research participants, 23andMe is at the forefront of using human genetics to advance biomedical research and transform healthcare. Join our growing team of computational biologists in translating genetic discoveries into insights into molecular biology of human traits and diseases!
Who you are
We are looking for a colleague with extensive experience in computational biology and human genomics. Biological interpretation of the unparalleled wealth of genetic signals requires efficient computational methods that augment our database with public or internally generated high-throughput genomic or functional data. Ideal candidates will use rigorous quantitative reasoning, creativity, and understanding of biological systems to develop robust tools that drive discovery and interpretation. They will have significant experience in analyzing large genomic datasets using the best practices in machine learning or statistics. Our team is very collaborative, and the ability to communicate ideas and results to other scientists is key. Scientific questions we are working on, and the scope of our vision mean that most of the necessary tools and methods have yet to be developed anywhere in the world.
In addition, candidates for senior scientists should have multiple years of experience leading development and implementation of novel methods and bioinformatics tools, executing independently developed ideas, and a demonstrated ability to clearly and effectively communicate with a wide range of internal and external audiences.
We encourage presentation and publication of research results. The full list of our publications can be seen at https://www.23andme.com/for/scientists.
What you’ll do
- Design and implement methods and tools to analyze human genomic data and drive discoveries in human health, and help identify novel therapeutic opportunities.
- Contribute ideas and expertise to help shape the development of our research platform.
- Work collaboratively with members of the Research, Therapeutics, Engineering, and/or Product teams to develop and execute on our research program.
- For senior scientists: manage execution of complex, cross-functional, long-term projects. Supervise, develop and mentor junior scientists.
What you’ll bring
- Ph.D. in Computational Biology or related field (Biomedical Informatics, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics).
- For senior scientists: significant post-graduate work in academic or industry setting.
- Strong background in machine learning, statistics or algorithms development.
- Extensive experience in writing robust code; strong programming skills in Python or R.
- Hands-on experience working with very large genomic datasets.
- Demonstrated fluency with tools and methods for sequencing data analysis (WGS, RNA-seq, and/or ChIP-seq).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading personal genetics company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has over 2 million customers worldwide with ~85 percent consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.