Join our gene pool.
Mountain View, CA, United States
As a communications team, we act as a conduit between the company and the public, including media, to articulate our mission in a variety of ways - 23andMe news announcements, events, strategic collaborations, and more, collaborating across business units including Business Development, Marketing, Research, Therapeutics, Customer Care, as well as Legal and Regulatory. We also serve an internal communications function, keeping employees up to speed on the latest happenings within the company.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you'll do
- Proactively and reactively plan and execute major press opportunities, interviews, and events with media across verticals and platforms (print, online, broadcast, etc.) around a variety of subject matters
- Proactive media outreach surrounding customer stories and compelling company data
- Manage inbound executive speaking requests, vet and track as necessary, as well as coordinate with event organizers on content and logistical needs, including staffing, as needed
- Assist in managing inbound requests from media and analysts, accounting for overall strategy and prioritization; manage product distribution to media and other external audiences
- Assist in group analytics and success measurement
- Aid in content creation - research material, graphics, news content, etc. - for company spokesperson presentations
- Prepare materials including briefing documents for executive speaking engagements and interviews, media Q&A, press releases, pitches, media lists, and executive bios
- Assist in review of external materials to ensure message consistency, appropriate language and brand sentiment; includes presentations, research papers, social media copy, etc.
- Coordinate online Media Center content and updates
- Coordinate vendor relationships: photographers, videographers, interview and photo/video shoot prep personnel
- Assist in managing project-based agency relationships
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
- Perform other related duties, as assigned
What you'll bring
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in Communications/PR or a related field
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, English or related field
- Existing media relationships across verticals and platforms
- Familiarity with various PR-related databases and technologies (i.e. Cision, Meltwater, PR Newswire)
- A desire to learn new concepts and tasks, and take on a variety of responsibilities that can vary substantially day-to-day
- A collaborative attitude and willingness to work in an open, team-oriented environment
- Strong knowledge of computer programs and Google collaboration tools
- Strong attention to detail
- The ability to interact with people, at all levels, across any number of internal groups, in a fast paced environment, sometimes under pressure, remaining flexible, proactive, and resourceful, with a high level of professionalism
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Excellent judgment and discretion
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when working with highly sensitive or confidential information
23andMe, Inc. is the leading personal genetics company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has over 2 million customers worldwide with ~85 percent consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.