Join our gene pool.
Research & Science
Product Scientist - R&D and Machine Learning
Mountain View, CA, United States
Are you passionate about bringing science to the everyday consumer, and interested in revolutionizing how people interact with their DNA? Do you want to use your machine learning and modeling skills to derive meaningful human health insights from novel, large scale data sets? We're looking for enthusiastic people with machine learning and scientific backgrounds to contribute to the development of consumer genetics applications. Your work could help millions of people understand their genetic information and use it to make impactful life changes.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
Who you are
You believe it’s not just possible to make genetics relevant to the average person, but important. You are motivated by identifying significant findings from large datasets, and you also ensure that the end results are valid and meaningful. You are a stickler for the details, and are simultaneously excited and skeptical about new ideas. You can work independently but thrive as part of a team. Like us, you are mission-driven and want to contribute to something that truly impacts people’s lives.
What you’ll do
- Apply both cutting edge and well-established machine learning methods to analyze genetic and phenotypic data from millions of individuals
- Be a significant contributor on longer term R&D projects to develop, validate, and translate research data into novel consumer products
- Find and critically evaluate external scientific studies in support of R&D efforts
- Collaborate on the development of scientifically accurate and compelling features for the consumer product
- Provide scientific support to a variety of teams across the company
We hope you have
- A Ph.D. degree in quantitative discipline, such as computational biology, bioinformatics, engineering, mathematics, or computer science
- Several years of relevant work experience with machine learning, modeling, and various statistical tools, including the design, implementation, and validation of this work
- Several years of experience with data analysis, programming, and related concepts in languages such as Python, R, Git, and SQL
- Familiarity with various study designs and statistical analysis in the context of critically evaluating scientific findings
- Motivated to clearly document and communicate your work, including presenting clear descriptions of your technical work to broad audiences
- The ability to be proactive, thorough, and independent, but to also work effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced, and interdisciplinary team
- Familiarity with human biology (e.g., through working on projects with a disease focus)
- A passion for making science accessible and relevant to everyone
- Familiarity with human genetics (e.g., through working on projects with a genetics focus)
- Experience creating web applications using frameworks (e.g., Django and Flask)
- Experience communicating complex scientific concepts to a consumer audience
- Experience with deep learning and familiarity with core neural network architectures
- Experience in machine learning platforms and wrappers (e.g., TensorFlow and Keras)
Submit your resume and a cover letter letting us know why you are excited about this position and why you are a great fit.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading personal genetics company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has over 2 million customers worldwide with ~85 percent consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.