Join our gene pool.
Legal Intern - 2018 Summer
Mountain View, CA, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding. We are looking for an exceptional individual to join us as a legal intern.
Who you are
23andMe is seeking a local law student with relevant healthcare, life sciences, and technology expertise to intern during the summer 2018 semester, with the opportunity to continue the internship into the fall and spring. The intern will work closely with 23andMe attorneys to support various business practices, focusing on genomic, consumer health, privacy, big data, consumer services, research, international, and corporate legal issues.
What you’ll do
Under the mentorship and supervision of 23andMe attorneys, the intern will:
- Contribute to the analysis and development of compliance programs under the FTC Act, HHS regulations, EU data protection regulations, and state consumer protection laws;
- Research novel areas of health and genetics law and write legal and policy memoranda;
- Perform legal research and analysis on global privacy and regulatory requirements;
- Assist in responding to information requests from customers;
- Monitor and analyze state, federal, and international legislation;
- Assist with the production of policies, SOPs, guidelines, and issue briefs for use by the company articles, presentations and other materials for broader audiences, including conference participants and policymakers
- Assist with other legal projects as needed; and
- Gain exposure to cutting-edge legal issues.
The internship will be offered for a minimum 10 weeks, with the opportunity to extend the internship into the fall and spring. The summer internship requires a full time commitment from late May/June through mid-August, while fall and spring semesters require a commitment of 10-15 hours a week. Preference will be given to candidates who express an interest in continuing the internship for the duration of the year.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample, and indicate in their cover letter when they are available to begin work. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.