Join our gene pool.
Cloud Systems Engineer
Mountain View, CA, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What we're looking for
We are seeking an outstanding senior systems engineer who wants to challenge and push the boundaries of technology and science. In this newly created role you will design, build, and operate key infrastructure which enables our engineering team to quickly ship new features that provides reliable services to our customers. You will play a key role in redefining our system architecture as we continue our migration from a traditional colo to a hybrid system which makes heavy use of cloud providers. You will enjoy a highly collaborative environment where IT/ops, product engineering, and research scientists work closely together to build systems which will bring in the era of personalized health care.
What you'll do
In a few words: Create and operate high performance, scalable, reliable solutions.
- Drive the re-architecting of our services to support a hybrid computing model that allows us to apply the right computing resources, be it in our labs, colo, or cloud.
- Design, develop and operate “infrastructure as code” and help us finish a move to immutable infrastructure.
- Work with release and product engineering to build a uniform pipeline that enable continuous integration and deployment.
What you'll bring
- Three+ years experience using AWS services and writing code against AWS APIs
- You have experience operating a production oriented service used by a large user base
- Working knowledge of Python and/or significant exposure to different programming languages and paradigms
- Very strong experience using scripting languages such as python, ruby, and perl, and configuration systems such as puppet, chef, or ansible to automate systems
- A solid operations mindset - you’re always thinking “What happens when (not if) this fails?”
- Five+ years experience work with Linux variants (ideally CentOS or SELinux)
- Solid understanding of network protocols and common services
- Basic knowledge of SQL
- Bonus points if you have hands on experience with Reddis, Swift, Hadoop, Spark, Docker, Kafka, ElasticSearch
23andMe, Inc. is the leading personal genetics company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has over 2 million customers worldwide with ~85 percent consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.