Join our gene pool.
Medical Education Specialist
Mountain View, CA, United States
23andMe is looking for an experienced medical education professional to join our Medical Education Team.
As 23andMe’s genetic testing becomes more robust and broadens its reach, clinicians must be prepared to converse with patients about the motivations for and the clinical consequences of this type of genetic testing. The Medical Education Team at 23andMe engages with the clinical community and facilitates a dialogue around the value and utility of DTC genetic testing through medical education, medical communication and research.
The newly created Medical Education Specialist reports to the Senior Manager of Medical Education and works cross functionally with various departments company-wide including medical affairs, marketing, customer service, legal, regulatory, research, and corporate communications, to support 23andMe’s services by helping clinicians navigate the DTC genetics.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you'll do
You will support 23andMe adoption in the clinical environment through education programs utilizing various medical education platforms, including CME’s, websites, webinars, podcasts and publications.
- Work cross-functionally within the organization to help define medical education strategies that engage and build trust with key clinical audiences.
- Create compelling messages that resonate with key clinical audiences utilizing various medical education platforms, including websites, CME’s, webinars, podcasts, publications, collaterals, etc.
- Coordinate grant programs for independent medical education, health science training (medical school, residency training, etc.), healthcare systems, community health partners and professional societies.
- Coordinate internal and external stakeholders for research focused on the role of DTC genetic testing in clinical training, patient engagement and precision medicine.
- Ensure that all medical education activities meet appropriate legal and regulatory requirements.
- Manage relationships and liaise with KOL’s and clinical domain experts as needed.
- Support product adoption in the clinical environment through education programs.
- Plan, support and attend scientific conferences and medical meetings as needed.
What you'll bring
- Strong and creative writing skills; ability to effectively communicate the evolving role of DTC genetic testing in healthcare for multiple key clinical audiences.
- Ability to assess the competitive landscape and define the strategic positioning of our service based on scientific assets.
- A Bachelors or equivalent, and a minimum of two (2) years full-time experience in med-ed, med-marketing agency, or in-house in the communications department of a university, research institute or pharma company in a post-marketing setting.
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing situations and priorities in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Professional attitude, attention to detail, self-motivation and willingness to pitch in to get the job done.
- Ability to be proactive, thoughtful and independent in framing new programs but also ability to collaborate effectively across functional groups and teams.
- Strong presentation skills; confidence and clinical insight when communicating with physicians and other allied healthcare professionals.
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects with attention to detail.
- Fluency in digital and social media.
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner.
- Able to prioritize and drive results with an emphasis on quality.
- Solid decision-making, problem solving, organizational and analytical skills.
- Working knowledge of human genetics concepts
- Working knowledge of regulatory, legal, and compliance guidelines for promotional materials.
- Working knowledge of regulatory policies governing scientific interactions with physicians and other allied healthcare professionals.
- Working knowledge of clinical genetics, including pharmacogenomics; the interplay between clinical genetic screening and the practice of medicine; benefits and limitations of a direct-to-consumer environment.
- Advanced clinical and scientific training equivalent to PharmD, PhD, GC, NP, PA, MPH, MS in health sciences or similar.
- Experience with web publishing, webinars and podcasts.
- Experience with CME, satellite symposia and speakers programs.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate relationships with clinical domain experts and KOL’s.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading personal genetics company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has over 2 million customers worldwide with ~85 percent consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.