Join our gene pool.
Vice President of Communications
Mountain View, CA, United States
The Vice President of Communications is a strategic role at 23andMe reporting to our CEO. The VP will be responsible for developing and advancing public relations programs, heavily focused on media relations in support of the Company’s brand, products and mission. This person will be responsible for developing media plans, overseeing earned media coverage, and will lead public relations efforts for all business areas of the Company. In coordination with the VP of Marketing, the VP will bring fresh ideas, creative thinking and integrated marketing/public relations planning to the table. The VP will work with key team members and leadership to define and execute the company’s overall communications and public relations strategies to generate a long-term vision for the Company’s global future, while increasing positive local, national, and global news coverage in support of company goals.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
Who you are
We are looking for a seasoned, yet hands-on, strategic communications leader with a proven record of creating and directing large-scale communications and public relations programs, while being able to quickly execute alongside team members.
What you'll do
- Act as communications advisor to develop the overall communications strategy aligned with the Company’s vision, mission and key priorities; provide strategic counsel and leadership to influence and impact strategy
- Inspire and manage a team of professionals, select and oversee agency relationships, partnering with other key company functions including marketing, business development, research and therapeutics
- Participate as a member of executive management team
- Oversee all media relations activities, including strategy & message development for consumer audiences, issues management, brand support, and science/research
- Executive platform—provide guidance on key external activities for leadership team and support content development for executives; includes selecting and supporting speaking engagements for CEO and other key executives
- Ensure consistent and broad communications support/alignment for key medical affairs, public policy and regulatory initiatives
- Develop and execute internal communications programs that cover all areas of leadership and employee communications, with overall responsibility for strategic planning and oversight
- Collaborate on brand thought-leadership around product and marketing to develop and implement new ideas, new thinking and cutting-edge content; Build world-class messaging and communication plans on product strategy launches
What you’ll bring
- At least 15 years of experience in leading global strategic communication teams in the consumer health and/or technology sector, with substantial experience running thought leadership initiatives.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, Business, or a related field is required.
- Strong roster of relationships and contacts with the media (broadcast, print, online, etc.).
- Strategic thinker, an inspiring leader, a team player, and an excellent writer/communicator.
- Substantial experience dealing with senior executives and ability to make strategic and succinct presentations to leadership.
- Passionate about communications and about consumer empowerment.
- A positive can-do attitude about maintaining a leadership position for the company.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading personal genetics company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has over 2 million customers worldwide with ~85 percent consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.