Join our gene pool.
Research & Science
Scientist / Senior Scientist - Health R&D
Mountain View, CA, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you'll do
- Generate and execute on novel ideas with little guidance
- Use coding skills to dive into new and existing data to support ongoing R&D activities
- Collaborate closely with other members of the Health R&D team to generate new ideas, critically evaluate and contribute to existing projects, and build out the R&D portfolio
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including Product and Engineering, to take early stage research projects and turn them into fully functional features or new products
- Communicate project results both verbally and in writing to scientists and non-scientists
- Act as a scientific mentor and advisor for individuals inside and outside of the Research team
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Ph.D. in Statistics, Genetics, Computer Science, or a related field
- Strong coding experience (Python, R, and other relevant programming languages)
- At home in a Unix/Linux environment
- Strong working knowledge of statistics
- Experience generating and executing on novel ideas
- Experience working with large structured and unstructured data
- A history of being proactive, thorough, and independent
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Enthusiasm for working in a highly collaborative and changing environment
- Experience with genetic association studies or epidemiology
- Experience with machine learning techniques
- Experience with cloud services such as AWS
- Experience with varied data types (microbiome, blood chemistry, activity, heart rate, etc.)
23andMe, Inc. is the leading personal genetics company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has over 2 million customers worldwide with ~85 percent consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.