Join our gene pool.
Director of Business Development
Mountain View, CA, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you'll do
- Identify and evaluate partnering opportunities in the biopharmaceutical industry, conduct due diligence, and present recommendations (including strategic rationale, valuation, and risks) to 23andMe’s senior leadership team
- Structure, negotiate and execute partnering agreements for a broad range of deal structures, including drug discovery and clinical trial recruitment
- Lead and execute in all phases of the deal process including,
- Sourcing and leading ideation for new business collaboration opportunities
- Performing cross-functional due diligence to evaluate scope of work and cost analysis
- Drafting deal structure and providing financial analysis around different structure types
- Negotiating with potential partners to close on term sheet and LOI
- Collaborating with Business Development, Research, Finance and other cross-functional teams to deliver and execute on deal implementation
- Monitoring post-close performance
- Maintain deep understanding and current awareness of the pharma industry across all phases of drug discovery and development
- Some travel will be required
What you'll bring
- Advanced degree (Ph.D., MBA, MD or JD) and Bachelor’s degree in a life science discipline
- Minimum of 8 years’ relevant business development experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry
- Established record of successfully structuring, negotiating and closing deals with industry partners (Note: A deal sheet must be included with your application)
- Thorough understanding of IP, licensing and partnering agreements
- Experience with interpreting and drafting term sheets across all types of business deals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills: written, verbal, presentation, negotiation, public speaking and presence
- Strong strategic and analytical skills, including deal analysis and creativity in deal structuring
- Passionate about science, medicine, and business
- Deep understanding of drug discovery and development
- Working knowledge of genetics
- Deal experience involving clinical trial recruitment a strong plus
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.