Join our gene pool.
Director of Business Development
Mountain View, CA, United States
We are seeking an exceptional Director of Business Development to drive new business opportunities and support our partnering efforts. The ideal candidate will be a natural leader with relevant experience in sourcing, negotiating, structuring and executing partnership deals and contracts with biotech and pharmaceutical partners. The Director of Business Development will report to and work closely with the Vice President, Business Development and interact with a broad range of 23andMe functions and senior executives.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you'll do
- Identify and evaluate partnering opportunities in the biopharmaceutical industry, conduct due diligence, and present recommendations (including strategic rationale, valuation, and risks) to 23andMe’s senior leadership team
- Lead and execute on all phases of the deal process:
- Source and lead ideation for new business collaboration opportunities based on detailed analysis of 23andMe’s capabilities and business objectives
- Perform cross-functional due diligence to evaluate scope of work and cost analysis
- Draft deal structure and provide financial analysis around different structure types
- Negotiate with potential partners to close on term sheet and LOI
- Collaborate with the Business Development, Research, Marketing, Engineering, Finance, and other cross-functional teams within 23andMe to deliver on execute on deal implementation
- Monitor post-close performance
- Structure, negotiate, and execute partnering agreements for a broad range of deal structures, including drug discovery and clinical trial recruitment
- Maintain deep understanding and current awareness of the pharma industry across all phases of drug discovery and development
- Some travel will be required
What you'll bring
- 8+ years of business development experience in the biotech/pharma space with an established record of successfully structuring, negotiating and closing deals with industry partners (Note: A deal sheet must be included with your application)
- Proven track record with mergers, acquisitions, licenses, partnerships and joint ventures (including clinical trial recruitment)
- Ability to appropriately identify and evaluate strategic deals as appropriate for the business
- Bachelor’s degree in a life science discipline with an advanced degree (PhD, JD, or MBA)
- Passionate about science, medicine and business
- Strong understanding of drug discovery and development process
- Working knowledge of genetics
- Excellent communication (interpersonal, oral and written) and leadership skills
- Comfortable with public speaking and enjoys giving presentations
- Strong strategic and analytical skills, including deal analysis and creativity in deal structuring
- Well-developed negotiation skills in leading external business discussions
- Experience with interpreting and drafting term sheets across all types of business deals
- Thorough understanding of intellectual property and licensing/partnering agreements
23andMe, Inc. is the leading personal genetics company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has over 2 million customers worldwide with ~ 85 percent consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.