Join our gene pool.
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Are you a passionate and motivated DBA or sysadmin looking to join a growing team of Database Engineers? Do you believe that applying DevOps culture and processes into your daily work brings in benefits to the business? Do you want to modernize and automate as much as you can for speed, stability, and efficiency?
In this newly created role, you will be wearing hats of both DBA and data infrastructure DevOps. You will support both OLTP databases such as EC2, MySQL, RDS and Aurora; as well as Data Warehouse such as Oracle, Redshift or Snowflake. You will help automating database provisioning, configuration, backup and recovery and refreshing. You will be a key player of the team that is responsible for building Data infrastructures such as ETL server, workflow platform with code in cloud environment.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you'll do
- You are subject matter experts that consult to, or embedded within, software engineering, data engineering, analytics, research, operation teams to multiply the engineers’ leverage
- You focus on proactive, strategic, high-value work such as architecture, performance, scalability, and capacity management instead of repetitive tasks.
- You will deploy, maintain, and monitor OLTP & OLAP database instances in cloud
- You will develop and maintain replication, backup, and disaster recovery strategies against various storage solutions
- You will be responsible for ensuring security, privacy, and data integrity in all OLTP & OLAP database environments and working with security experts for risk assessment review
- Develop and maintain tools to automate tasks and database operation
- Perform routine scheduled and occasionally un-scheduled maintenance
- Implement, document, and maintain database practice
- You will play a DevOps role for Data Infrastructure build-out
- You will participate in infrastructure-as-code effort for Data Engineering
What you'll bring
- Expertise knowledge of SQL
- Minimum of 5 years working experience with a B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent/related field
- Minimum of 3 years of database administration, MySQL preferable but not a must, in a production OLTP environment
- Strong Experience with AWS database services such as RDS or Redshift
- Strong knowledge of OLTP database performance tuning, MySQL preferable
- Practical knowledge of database locking and experience with multiple MySQL engines including InnoDB and MyISAM
- Experience configuring and fixing replication between database servers.
- Experience with database backup, restoration, and DR planning and execution
- Familiarity of Python and DevOps tools such as Git or GitHub, Jenkins, dockers, Drone, etc.
- Familiarity or experience in code deployment tools (Ansible, Puppet and Chef)
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service
- Strong working experience on Linux/Unix OS
- Experience of building and testing automation tools for infrastructure provisioning
- Excellent soft skills such as positive attitude, communication, project management, mentoring, prioritizing and the understanding of underlying business reasons.
- Previous 24x7 on-call experience
- Familiarity with Oracle 12CR1R2 and Oracle Golden Gate, AWS Redshift, AWS EMR
- Knowledge of genetics and/or genetic testing industry
- Familiarity with regulatory compliance requirements
- Database Certifications
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe, Inc. is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.