Join our gene pool.
Scientist I, Immunology
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team uses this data to discover and develop novel medicines to treat important diseases. The team currently has research programs across several therapeutic areas, including oncology, skin, respiratory and cardiovascular disease.
We are seeking an outstanding Scientist to join a collaborative team responsible for the biological characterization of drug targets and the preclinical development of drug compounds. Successful candidates will bring experience applying molecular and cell biology approaches to elucidate target protein function and drug mechanism of action. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
What you’ll do
- Lead experimental investigation of the biological function of drug targets in autoimmune and immune-oncology therapeutic areas
- Contribute to genetics-based evaluation of drug targets and initiation of new drug discovery programs
- Hands-on development and execution of biochemical and cell-based assays for target validation and new therapeutic development through activity and mechanism of action studies
- Hands-on development of core technical capabilities within therapeutic focus areas
- Potential for project leadership of preclinical drug development programs and supervision of one or more scientific researcher
What you’ll bring
- Ph.D. in biological sciences
- Minimum of 5 years’ post-Ph.D. experience in basic research or drug discovery
- Strong working knowledge of immunology and/or deep knowledge in at least one disease area
- Exceptional laboratory skills, with demonstrated proficiency in the development and execution of primary immune cell assays (T cell and/or myeloid cell). Experience with CRISPR in primary cells preferred.
- Proven track record via high quality publications and/or patent applications.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, organizational and leadership skills with the ability to work independently and in a fast-paced team environment
- Biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience
- Molecular biology and biochemistry expertise
- In vivo mouse inflammation model experience
- Experience managing and developing people
- Experience leading a cross-disciplinary project team
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 10 million customers worldwide, with ~80 percent of customers consented to participate in research.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.