What will you be empowered to do?
Sr. Scientist I, Computational Biology and Machine Learning
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
Our Therapeutics team, established in April 2015, has been actively identifying novel drug targets from 23andMe’s unparalleled database and developing creative genomics-based strategies for prosecuting these targets. The Computational Biology group plays a key role from the initial target hypotheses through validation as well as translation to clinical development, ultimately participating in all phases of the therapeutic discovery and development processes.
Join our collaborative, cross-functional research team focused on discovery of novel therapeutic targets and their development in our laboratories!
Who You Are
We are seeking an exceptional quantitative scientist with extensive experience in computational biology to join our collaborative, cross-functional research team focused on discovery of novel therapeutic targets and their development in our laboratories.
Ideal candidates will have experience analyzing large public and internally generated functional genomics datasets using the best practices in machine learning or statistics. They will use rigorous quantitative reasoning, creativity, and understanding of molecular biology to develop computational tools to analyze high-throughput functional data, integrate human genetics and functional genomics to drive target discovery, and summarize the results in ways that enable efficient decision making.
What You'll Do
- Develop computational methods to analyze high-throughput functional genomics data
- Perform integrative analysis of public and in-house generated functional genomics data with the goals of elucidating disease biology
- Extend existing target discovery efforts to incorporate additional data types and novel analysis methods
- Provide scientific expertise and leadership and drive complex projects forward
- Mentor and manage junior scientists
- Work collaboratively with members of Computational Biology and Functional Genomics teams on experimental design, pipeline design, data QC and analysis
What You’ll Bring
- Ph.D. in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Computer Science, Statistics or a related quantitative field
- 5+ years of post-Ph.D. research work experience in an academic or for-profit setting
- Strong quantitative skills and a background in machine learning or statistical data analysis
- Demonstrated experience leading complex projects and/or managing individual contributors
- Proficiency with tools and methods for processing, analysis and interpretation of functional sequencing data (RNA-seq, ATAC-seq, ChIP-seq or similar). Experience with analysis of scRNA-seq or snATAC-seq data is a plus
- Experience developing robust data analysis software in R and/or Python
- Hands-on experience working with very large scale *omics datasets
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work as part of interdisciplinary teams
- Exceptional communication skills, with an ability to convey complex computational results to colleagues from a wide range of life sciences backgrounds.
- Expertise in genetics, and interpretation and fine mapping of genetic association signals
- Industry experience in pharmaceutical or biotechnology research
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back