Join our gene pool.
Technical Program Manager
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Are you driven to getting things done? Can you juggle multiple projects, coordinate across different technical or functional groups, dive into technical details as well as facilitate high-level prioritization...all without breaking a sweat?
23andMe is looking for a highly motivated Technical Program Manager with a solid track record of connecting the dots between the many technical moving parts that need to work together in launching / improving production level (scaleable) systems. You’ll have a solid understanding and comfort with complex technologies (Big Data, Cloud Infrastructure, Cybersecurity, etc.). You’ll be coordinating technical dependencies and managing cross-functional timelines so teams are tightly aligned / synchronized. This is an opportunity to join, and be a part of shaping, a world-class software engineering organization (doing things “at scale”).
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
Our mantra on the Program Management team is “getting the right things done at the right time.”
What you’ll do
- Help plan and coordinate a wide range of engineering-driven initiatives (e.g. integrating new cloud-based systems / services, expanding data lake ecosystem, scaling compute pipelines / infrastructure, etc). In many cases, you will be the primary project manager.
- Drive cross-functional team deliverables to successful completion; provide follow-thru to coordinate within and across initiatives.
- Facilitate project planning, meetings, prioritization, and communication (you guessed it, across engineering teams / projects / initiatives).
- Help with technical planning where needed (e.g. sprint planning)
- You will be the primary project manager on engineering-driven initiatives (different types of initiatives; e.g. integrating new cloud-based systems / services, expanding data lake ecosystem, scaling compute pipelines / infrastructure, etc).
- Help coordinate / align quarterly planning (we use OKRs as our framework) across engineering teams.
- Put on a Product Manager’s hat on projects where there isn’t one dedicated; help articulate the technical requirements.
What you’ll bring
- 5+ year’s technical program management experience within a software development or technical team; you have a track record of taking technical projects from planning to production...successfully.
- B.S. in a technical discipline or equivalent experience.
- Domain experience in Data Lake Ecosystem and cloud (e.g. AWS) environment / services.
- Comfortable adapting to different technical areas; can get up to speed quickly.
- Ability to work collaboratively with engineering managers, technical leads, individual engineers; you are able to earn the respect and trust from the technical staff.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; talent for bringing clarity across all spectrums of audiences (technical / non-technical; management / contributors / stakeholders).
- Providing big picture perspective as well as attention to the finer details.
- Pragmatic mindset; you have great judgement balancing trade-offs. You are adept at mediating competing priorities / resourcing.
- Experience in both start-up and established business environments; comfortable operating “in-between”.
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced, sometimes uncertain environment; you embrace ambiguity and strive to help teams navigate thru effectively.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient in project management tools (i.e. JIRA, Gantt charting, Google Apps, etc.).
- Actively looking for ways to improve team productivity.
- Strong relationship building and interpersonal skills; ability to influence across functional and organizational boundaries.
- Experience leading teams in different software development methodologies including Agile / Scrum; you know how to coach and help teams adopt / adapt what works for achieving great outcomes.
- AWS Certification (Solutions Architect Associate) or equivalent
- Great if you were in a hands-on software development / test role early in your career; “you’ve been there...done it”.
- Also great if you have been in a professional services role interacting with clients and development teams.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back