Join our gene pool.
Sunnyvale, California, United States
23andMe is looking for a Communications Manager that can effectively create, implement and execute programs to promote the benefits of our consumer products and research efforts to external audiences. In this role, you will lead outreach to relevant media to demonstrate how 23andMe is the leader in providing impactful health and ancestry information, and large-scale research based on genetic data.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
Who you are
The ideal candidate is someone who can take initiative and juggle multiple projects at once. You should be willing to take risks and think creatively in order to reach new audiences in promoting the company’s consumer products and scientific work. We’re looking for a strong writer and expert in media relations. You enjoy collaborating with others, and working effectively across various internal teams and external organizations. You are a clear and articulate communicator and a great listener and observer. You’re able to translate complex subjects in an impactful way for a broad audience to understand. Like us, you are mission-driven and passionate about providing consumers with more direct and affordable access to their health information. You’re incredibly ethical and will maintain the high bar we’ve set as a company for interacting with colleagues, external audiences and our customers. You’re empathetic - you want to contribute to something meaningful that truly impacts peoples’ lives, and you are not afraid to try to break down barriers to make it happen.
What you’ll do
- Proactively plan and execute major press announcements, interviews and events with media across verticals and platforms (print, online, broadcast, etc.) around a variety of subject matters
- Create compelling data-driven stories to position 23andMe as the leader in consumer genetics and research
- Lead PR outreach around new research and/or consumer products to reinforce credibility and demonstrate our commitment to our customers and the scientific community
- Assist in responding to inbound requests from media, accounting for overall strategy and prioritization
- Prepare materials including briefing documents for executive speaking engagements and interviews, media Q&A, press releases, pitches, media lists, and executive bios
- Assist in reviewing external materials to ensure message consistency, appropriate language and brand sentiment; includes presentations, research papers, social media copy, etc.
- Help manage project-based PR / media agency relationships
What you’ll bring
- 5+ years of relevant experience in communications, ideally within the tech, health and/or scientific industries.
- Experience developing clear and concise communications materials, including press releases, blog posts, briefing docs and messaging
- Passion for working in a highly collaborative team environment
- Experience measuring impact of communications programs, and leveraging data to drive overall plans
- Track record of juggling multiple projects, and delivering results in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Bachelor’s Degree or related experience required