Join our gene pool.
2020 Summer Internships
Therapeutics Intern - In Vivo Biology
South San Francisco, California, United States
The Therapeutics/In Vivo Biology Intern is responsible for supporting preclinical studies in murine disease models to support our therapeutic programs. In this role, the intern will also gain exposure to different murine disease models, and the drug development process.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
The 23andMe Therapeutics team is committed to discovering and developing new therapies that can offer significant benefits for patients. This dedicated research and development group in South San Francisco identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs for disease areas with high unmet need. The In Vivo Biology group is a collaborative, cross-functional team responsible for the development of preclinical disease models, and characterization of drug compounds in relevant disease models to support our therapeutic programs.
What you’ll do
- Develop and validate new in vivo models in inflammation and autoimmunity
- Assist in in vivo studies to support therapeutic drug development in inflammation, autoimmunity, immuno-oncology, and metabolic diseases
- May assist in developing and/or performing ex vivo readouts using flow cytometry, ELISA, and/or qPCR
- Interpret, record, and present complex biological data at group meetings and other company meetings
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with colleagues, and maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
What you’ll bring
- Currently pursuing or recently completed a Master’s or PhD degree in biological sciences or a related field
- Ability to intern full-time in South San Francisco, California for a continuous 12 weeks this summer
- Hands-on experience with animal models required – handling and dosing mice, and harvesting tissue
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills with the ability to work both independently and in a fast-paced team environment
- Innovative thinker and problem solver
- Background or pursuing a degree in immunology or metabolic diseases
- Experience establishing murine disease models
- Hands-on experience with cellular and molecular biology assays
- Experience with antibody or small molecule therapeutics
- Biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience
Join the gene pool as part of 23andMe’s Summer Intern Class of 2020! Our Summer Internship Program is full-time for 12 weeks and provides opportunities to be involved in work that’s impactful at a mission-driven company. All internship opportunities are based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The expected start dates are in May or June depending on your school schedule. Please note, students will be responsible for their own housing and relocation. All applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 10 million customers worldwide, with ~80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.