Join our gene pool.
2020 Summer Internships
Research, Statistical Genetics Intern - Polygenic Risk Score
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Polygenic risk scores (PRS) aggregating the variant effects from GWAS have been widely used in our product as well as internal research and discovery. We are seeking outstanding candidates to work on machine learning approaches adjusting effect sizes of functionally annotated variants to improve the polygenic risk prediction for complex traits based on GWAS summary statistics.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you’ll do
- Develop machine learning methods to build PRS incorporating functional annotation.
- Improve prediction performance for complex traits applying functional annotated PRS.
- Investigate disease subtypes using functional annotated PRS.
Who you are
- Currently pursuing a Ph.D. degree, preferably in Statistics, Machine Learning, Biostatistics, Computational Biology, and related fields.
What you’ll bring
- Experience in statistical genetics, especially in GWAS and polygenic risk scores.
- Knowledge and experience in statistical learning and machine learning, especially in predictive models.
- Knowledge in functional genomics.
- Proficient coding skills in Python, R, and command-line tools, especially in big data analysis.
- Skills in team-working and communication across teams.
Join the gene pool as part of 23andMe’s Summer Intern Class of 2020! Our Summer Internship Program is full-time for 12 weeks and provides opportunities to be involved in work that’s impactful at a mission-driven company. All internship opportunities are based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The expected start dates are in May or June depending on your school schedule. Please note, students will be responsible for their own housing and relocation. All applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 10 million customers worldwide, with ~80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.