Join our gene pool.
2020 Summer Internships
Therapeutics Intern - Protein Chemistry & Bioanalytics
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
The 23andMe Therapeutics team is committed to discovering and developing new therapies that can offer significant benefits for patients. This dedicated research and development group in South San Francisco identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs for disease areas with high unmet need.
What you’ll do
- Develop TMT/iTRAQ based quantitative proteomics method for biomarker discovery and quantitation
- Design and conduct liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) based experiments under parallel reaction monitoring (PRM) mode to quantify protein/biomarker
- Work on target enrichment using automated liquid handling system
- Involve in method development and troubleshooting
- Work with scientists on a project to support drug discovery and/or technology development
- Present and discuss the results of experiments within the department and project team
- Keep accurate and complete laboratory documentation and electronic files
What you’ll learn
- Learn advanced analytical techniques for drug discovery and biomarker screening/quantitation including design of experiment, analytical sample preparation workflow, and data analysis, etc.
- Experience working in an industrial laboratory environment
- Gain exposure to drug discovery and development in the industry
Who you are
- Hands-on experience with Mass Spectrometry (MS) and micro/nano Liquid Chromatography (LC) on protein and peptide analysis
- Experience with cell culture and TMT/iTRAQ based quantitative proteomics analysis
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills with the ability to troubleshoot
- Have strong initiative and drive to develop and enhance cutting-edge technologies in the area of biotherapeutics
- Must be enrolled in an academic program pursuing a Master's or Ph.D. in Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, Pharmaceutical science or related field.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
Join the gene pool as part of 23andMe’s Summer Intern Class of 2020! Our Summer Internship Program is full-time for 12 weeks and provides opportunities to be involved in work that’s impactful at a mission-driven company. All internship opportunities are based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The expected start dates are in May or June depending on your school schedule. Please note, students will be responsible for their own housing and relocation. All applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 10 million customers worldwide, with ~80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.