Join our gene pool.
Sr. Software Engineer - Big Data Platform
Mountain View, California, United States
Join 23andMe and solve cool and challenging engineering problems implementing a large scale data store, building data processing pipelines in the cloud, and powering novel research and analytical capabilities. Work within a collaborative environment of small fast-paced development teams that have a mix of veteran engineers and recent graduates. Come join us in our mission to be the world's trusted source of personal genetic information!
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you'll do
- Design and implement new infrastructure, storage features, and frameworks
- Build data storage plan, distributed database schema, and optimized caching in order to support data analysis pipelines for statistical phasing, imputation, & association analyses
- Participate in product development process
- Write unit and functional tests
- Solve performance and scalability problems
What you'll bring
- B.S. in Computer Science or a related field and 5+ years of relevant experience
- Expert knowledge of Java/Python/SQL and strong experience in building applications using HBase
- Working knowledge of C/C++ and/or Java/Scala.
- Experience engineering high volume data and scientific dataflows
- Experience working with cloud platforms such as AWS, Google Cloud Platform, etc.
- Experience with distributed databases and large scale data processing
- Experience solving problems with Hadoop and related technologies (HDFS, MapReduce, HBase, Spark, etc.)
- Interest in bioinformatics
- Thrive with minimum supervision to deliver well-designed high-quality code on time
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.