Join our gene pool.
Research & Science
Scientist, Ancestry Research
Mountain View, California, United States
We are seeking a colleague with training and experience in human population genetics to join our exciting Ancestry Research & Development team. Our team develops methods and algorithms to drive 23andMe’s Ancestry Product and conducts research to publish novel findings regarding human genetics and history. We seek a team member who is excited to glean insights from the genetic data of over six million 23andMe customers.
See our recent publications here: https://www.23andme.com/for/scientists/
At 23andMe, we work with the richest database of genotypes and phenotypes ever assembled. Interpreting the wealth of genetic data now available requires both a keen interest in human history and a penchant for effective statistical and computational methods.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
Who you are
We are looking for a colleague who has experience analyzing large genetic datasets, with strong coding skills and a passion for interpreting patterns of human genetic variation.
What you'll do
- Perform analyses that will advance the understanding of human genetics and shape 23andMe’s consumer product
- Leverage existing methods and tools to analyze large amounts of data
- Work collaboratively with the Research, Engineering, and Product teams and provide scientific support to a variety of teams across the company
What you'll bring
- Ph.D. in Human Genetics or a related field (e.g., Biology, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Statistics)
- Experience analyzing whole-genome sequence data; experience analyzing ancient DNA sequence data is a plus
- Strong expertise in Python, R, or C/C++
- At ease in a Linux environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong background in statistical and/or machine learning approaches
- Ability to work collaboratively, effectively, and efficiently within a cross-functional context
- Excellent organizational skills to drive project success
- Experience communicating complex scientific concepts to a consumer audience
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back