Join our gene pool.
Associate Scientist / Sr. Associate Scientist, Antibody Engineering
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team in South San Francisco leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
We are seeking a talented and highly-motivated Associate or Sr. Associate Scientist to contribute to a collaborative, cross-functional research team responsible for delivering therapeutic antibody candidates for unmet medical needs. You will have expertise in antibody/protein engineering, purification and characterization, and will also be an independent and creative researcher.
What you’ll do
- Manage the production of antibodies to support therapeutic development programs, from construct generation through purification and biophysical and analytical characterization
- Perform antibody purification using a broad variety of chromatographic methods utilizing FPLC/AKTA systems
- Design and engineer antibodies using a variety of molecular biology techniques (PCR, Gibson/restriction site cloning, etc.)
- Develop and execute biochemical and cell-based assays (Biacore, Octet, ELISA, flow cytometry, etc.) to validate drug targets
- Design, construct and screen phage display libraries (NNK library, immune antibody library, etc.)
- Collaborate with project leaders to ensure timely and efficient progress of antibody development campaigns by coordinating efforts among Antibody Engineering, Hybridoma and Protein Science groups
- Manage CRO workflows and progress on antibody expression/purification related projects
- Generate, analyze, document and communicate high quality data
What you’ll bring
- Bachelor's (+ min of 5 years' relevant industry experience), Master's (+ min of 3 years' relevant industry experience) or PhD in Biophysics, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or related discipline
- Expertise in protein chemistry, purification, biochemical/biophysical and biological characterization
- Highly analytical with excellent troubleshooting skills
- Excellent organizational and communication skills with the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, team environment
- Successful record of productivity / accomplishments (e.g., high quality publications, patent applications, etc.)
- Prior work experience in therapeutic antibody development
- Experience with discovery, designing and generating bi-specific antibodies
- Experience in display techniques (phage/yeast/mammalian display)
- Experience in antibody display library generation
Note: Job title and level will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by Glassdoor as one of the Best Places to Work in 2019, MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.