What will you be empowered to do?
Postdocs - Research
Postdoctoral Fellow, Statistical Genetics
Sunnyvale, California, United States
23andMe has one of the largest non-European BioBanks in the world as nearly 2.5 million of our research participants have substantial non-European ancestry. Currently, the majority of published genetic studies are focused on cohorts of European ancestry, which not only limits understanding of genetics underlying complex diseases but also perpetuates health disparities. Through analyzing 23andMe’s large scale genetics and deep phenotype data, we are able to provide novel insights about complex disease and will help promote health equity for underrepresented populations. We are looking for a postdoc fellow to join us on this exciting research project.
With the world’s largest database of more than ten million genotyped customers, 23andMe is at the forefront of using human genetics to advance biomedical research and transform healthcare. Join our growing research team in translating genetic discoveries into insights into molecular biology of human traits and diseases.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What You'll Do
- Design, analyze and interpret pan-ethnic genetic studies of complex diseases
- Statistical fine-mapping genetic associations of complex diseases
- Build state of the art PRS models for 23andMe research cohort across multiple populations with advanced statistical and machine learning methods utilizing phenotypic and family history data, genetic information and functional annotations.
- Publish scientific findings through blog posts, conference presentations, and peer-reviewed journals
What You’ll Bring
- PhD in Statistical Genetics, Biostatistics, or a related discipline (Genetics, Genetic Epidemiology, Population Genetics, Bioinformatics, Data Science, Computer Science)
- Excellent scientific communication skills
- Knowledge and experience in statistical learning and machine learning, especially in predictive models
- Strong computational skills (Python, R); ability to perform statistical analyzation, simulation, and visualization
- Proven record of academic publications
- Experience with analyzing large scale genetics data (or -omics data)
- Experience with advanced fine-mapping methodologies (e.g. SuSiE )
- Experience with polygenic risk score methodologies
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back