What will you be empowered to do?
Director, Business Development and Strategy, Clinical
Sunnyvale, California, United States
With the world’s largest database of more than 14 million genotyped customers, 23andMe is at the forefront of using human genetics to advance biomedical research and transform healthcare. We are looking for a seasoned healthcare strategist to further our mission by initiating and growing partnerships to bring the value of 23andMe to the clinical setting.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic and other insights into better health and personal understanding.
What You’ll Do
The Director, Business Development and Strategy, Clinical will serve as an internal and external face of the company and will bring a strong track record of innovation, business development deals and value creation, combined with a network of relevant business connections within the healthcare space. This individual will be responsible for identifying, pursuing and closing deals with healthcare systems, employers, payors and healthtech companies.
Who You Are
You are a seasoned leader with a demonstrated ability to create a robust pipeline of partnerships and to work cross-functionally to define and execute strategically beneficial deal structures.
A strong medical and scientific background in a relevant biomedical field and a significant track record of strategic leadership and delivering financial value in the healthcare industry is required.
You must have an excellent understanding of the business needs of the healthcare industry and a passion for identifying and delivering strategic partnerships that prioritize the needs of our customers and patients.
- You will be successful in this role if you love creating partnerships, creating long term value through collaborations and executing on high-value near term transactions. You have the ability to influence without authority and the ability to manage diverse stakeholders in a highly cross-functional and matrixed organization. Equally important is a growth mindset and curiosity to learn in a boundary-pushing environment where the next deal may never have been done before.
What You’ll Bring
Bachelor’s, preferably in the life sciences. MD/PhD or MS+MBA in a relevant field preferred
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in business development. 5+ years in a senior strategic role
- Strong track record of sourcing, negotiating, and closing partnerships with positive results
- Extensive network of healthcare industry contacts
- Strategic thinking with outstanding business instincts, can help chart the course and can translate plans into value-creating results for the company
- Ability to apply critical, strategic, and scientific/technical thinking to unstructured situations to make sound business judgments
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects and teams with attention to detail, and to influence without authority
- Resourceful self-starter with strong alignment with 23andMe’s core values
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment and a bias towards 'win-win' collaboration at all levels
Note: Ability to work from 23andMe's office in Sunnyvale, CA a minimum of 3 days per week
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe takes a market-based approach to pay, and amounts will vary depending on your geographic location. The salary range reflected here is for a candidate based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.