Join our gene pool.
Research & Science
Scientist, Sequencing R&D
Mountain View, CA, United States
With the world’s largest database of more than 3 million genotyped and deeply phenotyped, consented research participants, 23andMe is at the forefront of using human genetics to advance biomedical research and transform healthcare. Join our growing team of statistical geneticists and computational biologists in translating genetic discoveries into insights into human traits and diseases!
Who you are
We are looking for a colleague with extensive experience in analysis of sequencing data to support internal research and partner projects. Ideal candidates will have worked on most phases of analysis starting from alignment and variant calling, to phasing and building imputation panels, to running association and burden tests of rare variants. As most very large sequencing datasets will be compiled from multiple sources, understanding the sequencing technologies and how they relate to QC issues and batch effects will be very important. Ideal candidates will be quantitatively rigorous, and will bring significant experience in analyzing large genomic datasets using the best practices of data analysis.
Our team is very collaborative, and the ability to communicate ideas and results to other scientists is key. The scientific questions we are working on, and the scope of our vision mean that most of the necessary tools and methods have yet to be developed anywhere in the world.
We encourage presentation and publication of research results. The full list of our publications can be seen at https://www.23andme.com/for/scientists.
What you’ll do
- Analyze human WGS and/or exome sequencing data and actively identify opportunities for analytical and technological improvements.
- Run association and burden tests on rare variants and contribute to development of imputation panels.
- Design, implement, benchmark, improve and run sequencing analysis pipelines in AWS.
- Work collaboratively with members of the Research, Therapeutics, and Engineering teams to integrate human sequencing data into our research program.
- Contribute ideas and expertise to help shape the development of our research platform.
What you’ll bring
- Ph.D. in Genetics, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or another quantitative field (Biomedical Informatics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, etc.).
- Ability to solve complex problems individually and as part of a team.
- Extensive experience in writing robust code; strong programming skills in Python or R.
- Proficiency in managing and analyzing data using AWS pipelines.
- Demonstrated fluency with tools and methods for sequencing data analysis (bwa, GATK, Picard, samtools, vcftools, RVTESTS, beagle, GenomicRanges, IGV, etc.).
- Hands-on experience working with very large genomic datasets, such as 1000 Genomes Project, TCGA, UK10K, GTEx, TOPMED, or similar.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.