Join our gene pool.
Research & Science
Scientist - Ancestry Research & Development
Mountain View, California, United States
At 23andMe, we work with the richest database of genotypes and phenotypes ever assembled. Our Ancestry Research & Development team publishes primary research and develops methods and algorithms to drive 23andMe’s Ancestry Product. This work requires both a keen interest in human history and a penchant for effective statistical and computational methods.
We seek a candidate with experience conducting population genetics research. You will join a team of Ph.D. population geneticists excited to glean insights from the genetic data of more than ten million 23andMe customers. You should have very strong coding skills, experience analyzing large genetic datasets, and a passion for interpreting patterns of human genetic variation.
A list of 23andMe's recent scientific publications is available here: https://www.23andme.com/for/scientists/
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you'll do
- Perform analyses that will advance understanding of human genetics and shape 23andMe’s consumer product.
- Leverage existing methods and tools to analyze large amounts of data.
- Work collaboratively with the Research, Engineering, and Product teams to provide scientific support for a variety of teams across the company.
What you'll bring
- Ph.D. in Human Genetics or a related field (e.g., Biology, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Statistics).
- Expertise in Python, R, and/or C/C++, in a Linux environment.
- Substantial experience working with large genetic datasets.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong background in statistics and/or machine learning.
- Ability to work collaboratively, effectively, and efficiently in a cross-functional team.
- Excellent organizational skills to drive project success.
- Experience communicating complex scientific concepts to a consumer audience.
- Experience analyzing whole-genome sequence data.
- Experience analyzing ancient DNA sequence data.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back