Join our gene pool.
Senior Software Engineer
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Join 23andMe in our mission to be the world's trusted source of personal genetic information. We are seeking an outstanding senior software engineer to join our Consumer Application Group.
Work directly with our Product, Design, and Engineering teams to design and build next-generation experiences for our application platforms. Bring creative and innovative approaches to the kinds of engineering problems that come with building a highly interactive website and manipulating huge amounts of data. Enjoy a collaborative environment with small project teams working on a variety of tasks ranging from web and application development to genotype data processing.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insights into better health and personal understanding.
What you'll do
- Pragmatically design and build delightful and engaging consumer-facing experiences
- Own projects through the software development lifecycle, including gathering requirements, proposing technical designs, developing and testing the software, releasing to production, and maintaining the code once it is live
- Advocate for and advance extensive automated testing
- Be a partner in deploying features across platforms, including responsive mobile-web, iOS, and Android
- Be a driving force toward improving our infrastructure and processes
- Be a role model and mentor for more junior team members, upholding a demonstrated commitment to engineering excellence while avoiding over engineering.
What you'll bring
- BS in Engineering or a related field with a minimum of 6 years’ industry experience delivering production quality code
- Ability to work with minimum supervision to deliver well-designed high-quality code on time
- Ability to understand, document, and improve legacy code
- A team player attitude and comfort operating in a highly collaborative environment
- Willingness to learn, lead and take responsibility
- Passion for exceptionally high-quality software and excellent user experiences
- Working knowledge of Python, data pipelines, and significant exposure to different programming paradigms
- Experience creating high performance and scalable solutions
- A well established track record of developing for a full stack web application (we use React/Django/MySQL)
- Some experience with development in the AWS ecosystem
- Experience delivering solutions that provide the highest standards in web security and cryptography best practices
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back