Join our gene pool.
Senior Accountant, Revenue
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
Who you are
As a key member of our growing Finance team, our Senior Accountant will apply accounting principles and procedures to assist with the financial close process of a variety of balance sheet and income statement accounts, perform technical accounting research, complete special projects and assist in driving process changes to help us scale for the future. This position will report to our Director of Accounting (Revenue, Cost of Sales, and Inventory) and will work closely with our Revenue team.
What You’ll Do
- Working with the Revenue team, help ensure accurate, complete and timely month-end close of various accounting areas including, but not limited to, trade receivables, deferred revenue, and reserve accounts
- Assume responsibility for the validation (completeness and accuracy assertions) of proper cash receipts (through credit card funding settlement) for all Direct to Consumer e-commerce orders. Investigate and resolve reconciling or unusual items Develop and implement procedures for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of this process
- Help develop and support the process for research and resolution of channel partner deductions (short pays) to help ensure final settlement is fair and properly approved
- Support Inventory / Cost of Sales area as needed, especially on transaction reconciliation between balance sheet accounts of related processes.
- Assist accounts receivable activities including customer creation, related forms, issuing invoices and credit memos, cash application and following up on past-due invoices
- Support and assist with special projects, including but not limited to process improvements, the adoption of new accounting standards, and software and reporting system implementations and enhancements, as required
- Ensure financial records are maintained in compliance with accepted policies and procedures and assist the team in developing and documenting additional policies and desktop procedures, as appropriate
- Assist in the preparation and coordination of year-end audit procedures with external auditors
- Perform other related duties, as assigned
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Accounting or Finance
- 5+ years of relevant corporate accounting experience
- Experience with Order to Cash accounting processes
- NetSuite experience strongly preferred, including report building
- Strong knowledge of financial systems generally, and the ability to quickly learn new systems
- Advanced in MS Excel and other cloud applications; also, the ability to work with large datasets, high volume/small transaction value data sets that are common in an E-commerce setting
- Strong understanding of US GAAP in a variety of accounting areas; ability to research US GAAP and other relevant guidance and apply findings appropriately
- Highly detail-oriented and organized with the ability to meet assigned deadlines
- A creative and forward-thinking problem solver that can quickly identify and solve unique issues with an eye toward scalable long term solutions
- CPA and Big 4 experience preferred
- Excellent communication (both oral and written) and interpersonal skills
- Positive attitude and ability to work collaboratively with all levels of employees, management and external parties
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.