Join our gene pool.
Research & Science
Sunnyvale, California, United States
As a bioinformatics scientist at 23andMe Inc. the candidate will work closely with our statistical genetics and computational biology teams to source, curate, and implement relevant and useful annotations to support both 23andMe’s target discovery and consumer facing research efforts.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you’ll do
- Follow genetics / bioinformatics literature and attend appropriate conferences to maintain awareness of desirable and state of the art methods for processing bioinformatic data. Provide guidance to other teams on important trends and opportunities.
- Develop and refine strategy for high performance and scientist-centred data management tools at 23andMe.
- Develop and maintain interfaces between the 23andMe production backend computing environment and 23andMe research computing environment while protecting customer privacy and consent preferences.
- Install, test and deploy external tools as needed to support bioinformatics tasks. Design and implement in-house tools when third-party tools are insufficient.
- Learn existing code and processes for building datasets and performing analyses. Become adept at running these, and help develop sanity checks for the results.
What you’ll bring
- Knowledge of core bioinformatics algorithms and tools such as phasing, imputation, GWAS, PRS, alignment, and variant calling.
- Familiarity with a variety of assays and bioinformatics datasets. Conversant with well known bioinformatics resources such as UK Biobank.
- Experience with design and implementation of data warehouses.
- Extensive experience with network and encryption tools and techniques, including sftp, rsync, and curl.
- Extensive experience and fluency with multiple data storage and retrieval technologies including MySQL, Postgres, Amazon Redshift, Hadoop, HDFS. Ability to engineer and tune large scale databases for performant read and write access.
- Fluency in Linux, bash, R, Python, and occasionally C++ for API, and other languages as needed for API development. Ability to learn complex existing code, make changes when needed, and ensure stability through testing.
- Experience with Amazon AWS EC2, s3, Batch, and related techniques for multiprocessing in the cloud would be an asset.
- Basic knowledge of molecular biology drug discovery and development would be an asset.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Sunnyvale CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.