Join our gene pool.
Senior Engineer, Product Security - Encryption
Sunnyvale, California, United States
23andMe is looking for an experienced PKI Engineer. You will bring hands on experience analyzing existing data flows and business requirements and building infrastructure to ensure the protection of our most critical assets. This role is primarily focused on protecting our genetic and phenotypic data, though experience designing AWS KMS infrastructure is a plus.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
We are focused on proactive security and are looking for hands-on security engineers who are passionate about building and defending our company’s assets.
What you'll do
- Design our next-generation infrastructure for ensuring the confidentiality and integrity of our customers’ genetic and phenotypic data for both our customer facing web apps as well as our internal research and therapeutics environments.
- Deploy, monitor, and maintain hardware security modules. Build and protect certificate authorities.
- Help design and build software libraries to make cryptography more approachable for developers with less cryptographic experience.
- Assist our application security team in auditing ciphers, modes, policies, and rotation schedules in existing software.
- Design, build, and deploy strong identity solutions, that when used in conjunction with a policy engine, can provide better solutions for secret storage.
- Design, build, and integrate solutions for service to service authentication *and authorization* using mTLS, JWT, and other modern solutions.
- Bonus: Help analyze our usage of AWS KMS and design systems to improve our security posture where KMS is appropriate.
What you’ll bring
- A minimum of 5 years of experience being waist deep in cryptography, PKI, HSMs, etc.
- B.S./M.S. in computer science, engineering, or a related technical field.
- Experience working cross functionally to learn requirements and data-flows and to build solutions that meet said requirements.
- Preferred to have experience building self service tools in Python and deploying those tools with AWS.
- Experience with working with both centralized and decentralized business services
- Experience with managing and ensuring the timely response and investigation of security events and incidents
- Experience with compliance frameworks, standards and assessments such as: ISO 27001, HITRUST, SOC2, PCI, HIPAA, NIST, etc.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back