What will you be empowered to do?
Sr. Scientist I/II, Antibody and Protein Engineering
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
We are seeking an outstanding scientist to lead in advancing the molecular understanding of disease-relevant biological pathways and expanding our therapeutics portfolio. This role will report to the Director, Antibody and Protein Engineering.
What You’ll Do
- Lead in molecular tractability analysis of new therapeutic targets and assess strategies for therapeutic modality
- Collaborate effectively with cross-functional leads to plan the strategies for (1) understanding the pathway of interest at the molecular level and (2) discovery of therapeutic antibodies and small molecule drugs and execute on the plans
- Participate on cross-functional teams to contribute to the design and generation of protein reagents needed for elucidating mechanism of action of disease target and discovery of therapeutic candidates
- Explore and assess strategies of novel drug modalities
- Develop fit-for-purpose technology to expand capability for drug discovery and optimization
- Recruit, manage and lead associate scientists and scientists to innovate, collaborate and deliver
- Cultivate and develop new leaders
What You’ll Bring
- Ph.D. with 7+ years of research/industry experience in structural biology, protein biochemistry, chemical engineering or molecular biology with a proven record of accomplishments and publications
- Critical thinking with high degree of innovation and analytical skills
- Strong technical expertise in wide range of molecular biology and protein engineering techniques, including structural modeling, mutagenesis, molecular cloning, construct design, protein expression and purification, protein interaction characterization (ELISA, BIAcore, Octet, FACS etc.) and sequence analysis
- Experience managing, coaching and mentoring scientists at various levels
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills with ability to work and influence in a team environment
- Highly organized, motivated and self-initiated, with demonstrated ability to prioritize and solve challenges
- Ability to adapt and respond effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while achieving progress with scientific rigor and integrity
- Industry experience in antibody and protein engineering research
- Experience in small molecule drug discovery and optimization
- Molecule evolution strategies like phage display
- Experience with the development of non antibody biologics
- Industry experience in nucleic acid therapeutic modality
- High throughput structural prediction and analysis
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience.
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back