What will you be empowered to do?
Therapeutics - Drug Discovery
Scientist I / Scientist II, Target & Drug Discovery (CardioMetabolic Disease)
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team in South San Francisco leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
We are seeking an exceptional Scientist to join a collaborative, cross-functional team aspiring to discover and develop innovative medicines to help patients. Our ideal candidate will be a self-motivated, independent and creative researcher with a high degree of analytical and troubleshooting skills.
What You’ll Do
- Lead project and represent project to senior team
- Independently research, design and conduct molecular, biochemical and cell biology experiments to advance therapeutic programs
- Interpret, record and present complex experimental data in project team meetings
- Recruit, mentor and manage direct report(s)
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with colleagues to drive progression of the project
What You’ll Bring
- PhD in Biology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Physiology, Chemical Biology, or related field + min of 3 years' post-PhD work experience, or Master’s + min of 8 years’ experience, or Bachelor’s + min of 10 years’ experience
- Successful record of high quality publications and/or patent applications
- For Scientist II, experience in leading successful project team(s) is required
- Expertise in molecular, cellular mechanism and/or in vivo biology of metabolism, including obesity, diabetes, or fatty liver diseases
- Hands-on experience in developing biochemical, biophysical and/or cell-based assays suitable to support small molecule or biologics lead discovery and optimization
- Hands-on experience in the determination of potency of leads in biochemical and cell-based assays. including experience with microplate readers and data processing using curve-fitting software
- Advanced lab skills in some of the following areas: biochemical, cell and molecular biology techniques such as enzyme activity assay, biophysics techniques (eg SPR, ITC), DNA cloning, qPCR, western blots, SDS-PAGE, ELISA, and mammalian cell culture
- Critical thinking with high degree of innovation
- Proactive and highly self-motivated with strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent teamwork skills and ability to build effective relationships with cross-functional teams
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organization skills with the ability to work independently and in a fast-paced team environment
- Industry experience
- Knowledge in analysis and interpretation of human genetics
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe takes a market-based approach to pay, and amounts will vary depending on your geographic location. The salary range reflected here is for a candidate based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
San Francisco Bay Area Base Pay Range