Join our gene pool.
Mountain View, CA, United States
Our growing Product Design team is looking for an exceptional Product Designer to help build functional and engaging experiences that empower individuals to gain insight into and take action on their personal genetic information. This role may be responsive web or native mobile focused, depending on your experience. At 23andMe, design plays a pivotal role in navigating how customers think about genetics, health, and lifestyle. Your work has the potential to help people make impactful life changes.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you’ll do
- Be an integral part of the design team contributing to projects and meetings
- Collaborate with designers, product managers, scientists, and developers to create successful end-to-end user experiences - flows, wireframes, visual designs, and prototypes through final delivery and implementation
- Collaborate with our user research team to gather concept and prototype feedback from customers through qualitative interviews and quantitative studies
- Use strong communication skills to present, articulate and defend design decisions and recommendations within small cross-functional teams and to executive stakeholders
- Contribute to the development of our design system and style guide and advocate consistent use of design standards across product experiences
- Experience designing in-house for a consumer website or mobile app
- Strong design thinking skills and focus on user-centered solutions
- Effective communication skills to articulate ideas and design rationale
- Self-motivation to manage workload, timelines, and expectations of multiple projects with cross-functional teams
- Desire to be a part of a mission-based culture
- Passion for science is not necessary, but a plus
What you'll bring
- 3-5 years of hands-on design experience contributing to a few shipped consumer products
- Bachelor’s degree in design or equivalent training in product design program
- A portfolio that demonstrates a range of work, a compelling design perspective, your design process and a clean aesthetic (link or pdf of work with at least one case study and/or prototype)
- Demonstrated knowledge of UX and visual design considerations, patterns, standards and best practices for responsive web and/or native mobile
- A strong foundation in design principles - information hierarchy, layout, typography, color
- Proficiency in industry standard design and prototyping tools such as Sketch, Adobe CC, InVision, Principle
- Interest or experience in interaction and motion design with tools such as After Effects, Framer
What we offer
- A respectful, fun, collaborative, dog-friendly work environment
- Fitness sessions like yoga, pilates and strength training in our onsite company gym
- Organic lunches five days a week from a talented local chef
- Healthy snacks and beverages stocked in every kitchen
- Optional treadmill desks and standing desks
- After-hours intramural sports teams
- CalTrain GoPass
- Excellent medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flex spending account option for health and/or dependent care expenses
- Life insurance, short-term disability and a 401(k) with employer match
- Vacation and sick leave accrual and paid holidays
- Tuition reimbursement program
- A 23andMe DNA kit to get you started learning
- And more!
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe, Inc. is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.