Join our gene pool.
Director, DEI & People Business Partnering
Sunnyvale, California, United States
We are looking for a visionary leader who can harness the passion and energy for Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DEI) at 23andMe while continually pushing us towards new possibilities. We recognize the impact our product has on a variety of communities and understand that, in order to build a more inclusive and accessible product, we must foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and amplify our impact in our communities. The position serves to embed DEI across the talent lifecycle, from recruitment to exit. This is where you come in.
This is a critical, highly-visible role that will partner with all levels of the organization, from front-line employees to senior leaders, as a leader, advisor, advocate.
As a hybrid role, this leader will be embedded in several of our business units creating real, lasting change as a DEI & People Business Partner so the work will be tightly aligned with our core business mission and goals.
In a typical day, you might find yourself communicating our DEI roadmap at an all company meeting, coaching your clients on how to lead their teams, navigating employee relations issues, or managing programs that help develop our employees with a lens for DEI. If you are flexible and committed to helping change our work world for the better, please join our innovative & collaborative People team at 23andMe!
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you’ll do
As a DEI champion
- Evolve and oversee the DEI strategy by providing expertise, thought leadership, and best practices to drive all DEI initiatives and deliver on our DEI OKRs.
- Lead our DEI employee-led group 23andWe with over 90 active members, to accomplish specific goals across a broad spectrum of DEI initiatives.
- Analyze and present relevant metrics and insights to the business to drive the focus and execution of People & DEI strategy.
- Design and implement talent management processes and systems to increase diversity and sense of belonging. Help build diverse pipelines and candidate pools.
- Collaborate with other functions (Workplace, Comms, etc) to help foster our inclusive workplace culture.
- Coach, mentor, and support employees, managers, and leaders on DEI.
As a People Business Partner
- Build and cultivate strong partnerships with senior leaders on organizational and people-related strategies.
- Support the business with organizational change and development, influencing leaders to address complex organizational design issues where required for business success.
- Advise, guide and coach leaders at all levels within 23andMe to navigate the complexities of managing teams, managing career development, developing a high performance culture, providing conflict resolution strategies, etc.
- Provide candid feedback about talent moves, gaps, promotions, and growth opportunities.
- Work with managers and employees to address employee relations issues, fairly representing all interests.
- Adhere to the highest degree of professional standards and strict confidentiality on matters that require discretion.
What you’ll bring
- Bachelor’s degree with 8+ years of HR / HRBP experience in roles of increasing complexity and scope.
- You are a subject matter expert, with demonstrated experience in leading the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion function.
- You are excellent at coaching and development, change management, and organizational design.
- Extensive experience influencing business leaders individually and collectively. You have courage to propose solutions others are reluctant to address, act in the face of resistance and advocate for the best interests of the organization.
- A strategic mindset, but can also focus on tactical and operational issues. You are comfortable both rolling up your sleeves to get things done and being part of deeply complex strategic discussions.
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment where change and ambiguity are common.
- A broad network of DEI community partners and organizations.
- A deep sense of empathy. You connect well with employees of all levels and backgrounds, and have the ability to flex your style to build trust and rapport.
- Significant experience handling sensitive employee relations matters with tact, diplomacy, and compassion.
- A passion for innovative HR solutions & creating diverse and inclusive environments.
- Exceptional communication and relationship building skills. Highly collaborative style and desire to work as a team with a results-driven approach.
- Experience in tech and/or biotechnology/pharmaceutical industries.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by Glassdoor as one of the Best Places to Work in 2019, MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe, Inc. is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.