Join our gene pool.
Sunnyvale, California, United States
The Healthcare Operations and Medical Affairs team at 23andMe has an immediate need for a full-time Medical Director based in our Sunnyvale, CA office.
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible and turning genetic insight into better health.
With strong consumer demand and our growing portfolio of genetic health insights--as well as the recent acceleration and adoption of digital health modalities--23andMe is poised to transform healthcare, right now. The Healthcare Operations and Medical Affairs (Health Ops) team is core to 23andMe’s healthcare vision and execution, focused on delivering industry-leading genetic insights, providing comprehensive health risk assessments, and paving the way for our customers to get and stay healthy.
Reporting to the VP of Health Ops, and working closely with the Director of Medical Affairs, the Medical Director will play an instrumental role in shaping and expanding healthcare initiatives at 23andMe. This includes helping lead the development of new genetics-based and technology-driven clinical offerings that leverage advances in home diagnostics, digital health, telemedicine, prescription accuracy and more.
What you’ll do
- Lead the effort of developing a new ‘genetics forward’ set of health care initiatives for implementation at 23andMe
- Work cross-functionally to help shape healthcare services that are protocol-driven, outcomes-oriented, and that leverage relevant technologies
- Oversee additional activities related to quality assurance, reimbursement, and cost management. This includes:
- Playing a leading role in staying abreast of applicable regulations, regional community standards of care, and nationally recognized guidelines
- Helping devise systems to measure and track key behavioral metrics and health outcomes measures for internal optimization and quality assessment, as well as for external publication
- Playing a leading role in hiring, onboarding, and oversight of health team members
- Establishing, maintaining, continuing improvement and enforcement of acceptable professional and ethical standards across the clinical team
- Measuring and tracking key performance indicators for the entire service-line
- Collaborating with stakeholders to establish and optimize around budget needs
- Maintain a focused ‘patient-centric’ and ‘do no harm’ lens on all areas of involvement
- Hold health inequity, access, and overall diversity, equity, and inclusion as a top priority in all business matters.
- Maintain professional credentials and remain in good standing with professional boards, organizations and licensing authorities.
- Maintain proficiency in understanding of 23andMe health-related products
- Maintain sufficient understanding of the compliance, regulatory, and quality policies and procedures that pertain to the healthcare initiatives and all health-related products and related communications
- Maintain professional integrity in all internal and external interactions
- Strive to represent the consensus medical opinion as related to business strategy, decisions, and other important matters
- Participate in weekly team meetings and provide progress reports to department leadership
- Occasionally collaborate with co-workers from Product/Product Science, Marketing, Education, and other teams
- Occasionally support efforts at remote locations such as clinical or education conferences, partner meetings, and KOL development
What you’ll bring
- A Medical degree (M.D. or equivalent)
- Six years experience in clinical medicine (beyond training), preferably with a primary care orientation; clinical experience in a digital health organization is a plus
- Valid state-issued medical license in your practice area (California preferred)
- Valid Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) Certificate
- Board certification in your practice area
- Familiarity with applicable regulations and national and regional clinical guidelines and standards of care
- Track record of success in clinically-oriented leadership positions, with leadership experience in digital health organization as a plus
- Direct experience with clinical protocol development, clinical work-flows, and practice management in general
- Direct experience in managing clinical personnel
- Direct experience with clinical applications of digital health technologies and virtual encounter platforms
- High attention-to-detail and accuracy
- Solid understanding of genetics as it pertains to clinical medicine and a commitment to knowledge base growth
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills including proficient knowledge of medical terminology
- Working knowledge of clinical practice digital platforms and tools (virtual encounter, EHR and document management, computer order entry, prescription ordering, scheduling, etc.)
- Working knowledge of computer operation and cloud & non-cloud based software (Eg. Google Docs & Mail, DropBox, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Working knowledge of online clinical resources and databases (Eg. NIH resources, UpToDate, Medscape, others)
- A level of professionalism consistent with 23andMe’s values, vision, and mission
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated decision-making, problem solving, organizational, and analytical skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, complex, and at times demanding, high-tech startup work environment, with the ability to carry out complicated assignments and adapt to changing situations and priorities
- Demonstrated ability to work as a dependable and supportive member of a team in addition to excelling as an individual contributor
23andMe, Inc. is the leading personal genetics company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has over 12 million customers worldwide with roughly 80 percent consented to participate in research. 23andMe, Inc. is headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back