What will you be empowered to do?
Research & Science
Program Manager II
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Do people naturally turn to you when something needs to get done? Does it drive you crazy when work is poorly organized and tasks fall through the cracks? Does developing an elegant, functional solution to a complex problem make it easy for you to get out of bed every morning?
In addition to being one of the biggest players in the direct-to-consumer genetics world, 23andMe is also performing cutting-edge research with academic, non-profit and industry partners on an unprecedented scale. We are looking for a program manager to join our research team and help manage these programs and projects.
With the world’s largest database of more than ten million genotyped customers, 23andMe is at the forefront of using human genetics to advance biomedical research and transform healthcare. Join our growing research team in translating genetic discoveries into insights into molecular biology of human traits and diseases.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What You’ll Do
The program manager in this role will be primarily responsible for the successful execution of projects within our research participant recruitment program. This person will coordinate with cross functional stakeholders and sponsor(s) on the design and implementation of the infrastructure needed to engage, pre-screen and consent participants as well as the strategy and execution of the participant recruitment campaign. Support activities include developing surveys, enabling IRB approval, and coordinating web content. Following a successful study launch, the program manager will continue to monitor and adjust project/program strategy as needed to reach project goals, and to synthesize and share lessons learned to enable the program to grow and scale.
- Work closely within cross functional teams which include Research Associate(s), Geneticists, Regulatory Scientists, Marketing Managers, Operations Managers and other stakeholders (as needed) to align on project goals, identify and map out dependencies, develop timelines and ensure the project stays on track to meet the defined success metrics.
- Ensure the strategy, implementation, and evaluation of patient recruitment and enrollment methods meet project needs.
- Establish and maintain relationships with stakeholders, patient advocacy groups, foundations, researchers, institutions, vendors and other collaborators.
- Coordinate the setup of research participant study activities which may include surveys, genotyping, sequencing, blood or tissue collection and lab data.
- Determine people and spend resources needed, manage meetings, define and report on performance indicators, and identify ways to improve processes for the future.
- Maintain communication with 23andMe stakeholders beyond the execution team including Data Collection, Research Ethics, Regulatory Affairs, Medical Affairs, Legal, Privacy, Product, Engineering, Marketing, Communications, Therapeutics and Business Development to facilitate project success. Communicate effectively with individuals of varying backgrounds, such as scientists, engineers and non-technical team members.
- Ensure actions and processes are standardized, well-documented, and comply with all applicable SOPs and regulations.
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor's degree in biomedical science (or a related field) and 5+ years of relevant work experience, or Master's with 3+ years of experience, or PhD
- Good working knowledge of human genetics concepts such as: eQTL, GWAS, RNASeq, WGS
- Demonstrated understanding and experience working with regulatory and ethical requirements for clinical research and human subject research.
- Ability to cut to the heart of a problem, create a solution, and build consensus around that solution.
- Proven track record of independently setting and meeting deadlines, and motivating others to meet deadlines without formal authority.
- Experience with managing vendors including reviewing and abiding by contracts, coordinating and aligning on deliverables, and staying within budget.
- Ability to manage a range of complex, high-impact projects simultaneously.
- Ability to proactively identify issues or challenges from a scientific, legal, privacy, or business perspective.
- Outstanding cross-functional teamwork: works collaboratively, effectively, and efficiently with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Strong interpersonal skills: able to use tact and diplomacy to maintain effective working relationships, able to raise problems or challenges in a productive manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders and external partners.
- Excellent organizational skills.
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back