What will you be empowered to do?
VP, Chief Accounting Officer
Sunnyvale, California, United States
23andMe is looking for a highly-seasoned, senior financial leader with significant public company accounting and control experience to continue building a world-class public-company Accounting and Control team and capabilities.
You will work closely with our CFO and CEO, be an integral part of our Senior Executive Team, and lead our current team of Accounting and Finance professionals. You will be our leader in assuring that our Accounting & Control environment meets the highest public-company standards. You will work closely with our operating executives to assure that our systems and processes support our GAAP and SOX requirements. You will work closely with our FP&A, Investor Relations, Legal, Corporate Communications and other functional groups to assist in the preparation and delivery of our quarterly and annual SEC reporting, as well as associated analysis and communications materials. You will be the lead executive in steering our company-wide SOX initial implementation and ongoing maintenance. Other key relationships that this position will maintain include our independent auditor (KPMG), our Audit Committee, our Disclosure Committee and key financial vendors providing non-audit services.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What You’ll Do
- Close & Audit
- Ensure upgrades to the existing robust controls environment, in order to evolve to a fully SOX-compliant environment.
- Oversee the financial accounting and close process including revenues, cost of revenues, operating expenses & balance sheet, including reconciliations and review of accounts.
- Lead the accounting team in continuous improvements to the close and audit processes.
- Ensure policy documentation for all material accounting processes.
- Determine and establish technical positions and related accounting treatment, especially on highly judgmental and/or material areas, and provide expertise and direction to the Accounting Team on technical accounting matters.
- Evaluate financial systems for adequacy, considering our rapid growth; scope, design and execute improvements.
- Oversee preparation of financial statements, including intercompany consolidations, and associated flux analyses, as well as other analyses in support of performance assessment.
- Responsibility for preparation of 10-Qs, 10-Ks, 8-Ks and other SEC reporting requirements.
- Work with the CFO, Investor Relations, FP&A, Legal, and Corporate Communications in the preparation of shareholder communications of quarterly financial results.
- Work with our FP&A team in analyzing trends, business drivers, and variance analysis.
- Internal Controls
- Lead 23andMe’s initial implementation of it’s SOX program and its ongoing maintenance.
- Develop a plan to add an Internal Audit function over time.
- Assure a collaborative and transparent dialogue on control matters with the Independent Auditors and the Audit Committee Chairperson.
- Financial Operations
- Manage compliance with federal, state and local tax requirements; assure appropriate tax planning.
- Manage treasury activities, including near-term cash forecasting, investment of cash balances, L/C requirements, working capital funding.
- Be the leader and strive for continual improvement in cross functional processes.
- Transaction support
- Provide support for corporate transactions including equity funding, debt funding, in-licensing and out-licensing deals, strategic partnerships and M&A.
- Assure organizational design which can accommodate our growth and increasing complexity.
- Be a technical and experiential resource to the Accounting & Control organization.
- Grow, manage, and mentor Finance team members.
- Continue the current evolution of the Accounting & Control function in it relatively-new status as a publicly-listed company.
What You’ll Bring
- A minimum of 5+ years in a public-listed Chief Accounting Officer (CAO) or Controller role.
- Prior experience in Big 4 auditing.
- Bachelors or Masters in Finance or Accounting; CPA required (Active).
- Demonstrated experience in managing large Accounting & Control teams (25+ professionals).
- Experience in support of complex transactions including equity and debt financings, M&A and strategic collaborations.
- Experience with in-house public company financial reporting, disclosure, SOX-compliance and investor communications support.
- Experience with managing audits for publicly traded companies.
- Technical skills
- Strong technical knowledge of GAAP, accounting processes, internal controls and systems.
- Strong analytical and financial modeling skills; significant experience with large-scale enterprise systems; direct experience with NetSuite is a plus.
- Experience with multi-currency and international accounting consolidation of financials.
- Interpersonal skills
- Outstanding organizational leader and mentor, with a track record of organization/team-building, talent attraction, and retention, driving individual development.
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with stakeholders from various functions to help lead change-management initiatives.
- Exceptional communication skills with an ability to coordinate processes across multiple stakeholders; comfortable with presentations and interactions at all levels.
- Detail-oriented, organized and resourceful.
- Willingness and ability to get hands-on with systems and analytical tools.
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back