What will you be empowered to do?
Director, Computational Biology Infrastructure
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
Who You Are
We are seeking an experienced, highly-motivated leader who is passionate about helping people by advancing drug development for diseases with unmet medical need.
In this highly visible, high-impact role, you will provide the strategic vision for and drive the implementation of a robust and scalable infrastructure that will enable the analysis of high-throughput functional genomics data, integrate genetics and functional genomics to drive target discovery and development, and summarize the results in ways that enables efficient decision making. Ideal candidates will have significant experience in developing and maintaining robust software tools and large integrated genomic databases that drive scientific discovery.
Join our Computational Biology team as we continue to push the envelope on what’s possible in genetics-based drug discovery!
What You’ll Do
- Develop strategic plans to advance computational infrastructure (both backend analysis and frontend applications) that will increase the productivity of the Computational Biology team as well as the ability of Therapeutics discovery and development scientists to identify actionable hypotheses through integrated analysis of genomics data
- Work collaboratively with the Computational Biology team to define and spec computational resources and pipelines needed to drive our science forward
- Actively engage with therapeutics discovery scientists to understand their needs and drive the development of user interfaces and tools designed to support hypothesis exploration
- Serve as liaison with members of the Data Technology and Infrastructure and Bioinformatics teams and act as the Computational Biology stakeholder in joint company-wide initiatives
- Guide the ongoing development of a robust codebase of R and Python research packages and pipelines developed at 23andMe
- Build and manage a team of developers to work on software and database development
- Maintain, improve, and scale our genomics data resources to support the interpretation of genetic and functional genomics results
- Provide leadership in proposing, designing, and implementing best practice solutions in large scale data management
What You’ll Bring
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Computational Biology, Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Physics, Statistics or a related quantitative field and at least 7 years of infrastructure-building experience in an academic or commercial research setting focused on biomedical research
- Demonstrated ability to work in a matrix environment and successfully collaborate across direct management lines with other internal organizations
- Extensive experience writing robust code in a shared development environment, including application of best practices in software testing and documentation
- Experience applying workflow automation tools for pipeline management
- Significant experience in deploying internally developed tools in a production environment
- Experience working with SQL and relational databases
- Experience managing contract or full-time software and database developers
- Excellent communication skills and experience communicating software or database design to colleagues
- Experience working in a biopharmaceutical research and development organization
- Strong development skills in R, and demonstrated ability to write R packages for broad use
- Hands-on experience or having managed a team working with very large genomic datasets
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back