Join our gene pool.
Sr. Associate Scientist / Scientist I, Protein Engineering
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
23andMe's Therapeutics team is committed to discovering and developing new therapies that can offer significant benefits for patients. This dedicated research and development group in South San Francisco identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs for disease areas with high unmet need.
We are seeking an outstanding Sr. Associate Scientist or Scientist I to join a collaborative, cross-functional team focused on the biological characterization of drug targets and the preclinical development of drug compounds. Successful candidates will have experience applying molecular and cell biology approaches to elucidate target function and drug mechanism of action.
More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
What you’ll do
- Help manage the production of mammalian proteins and antibodies to support therapeutic development programs, from construct generation through purification and biophysical/analytical characterization
- Interface and collaborate closely with other groups (analytics, antibody engineering, and assay)
- Consult with project leads to manage and prioritize protein reagent requirements for multiple projects
- Utilize mammalian (HEK293 & CHO), insect and bacterial (E.coli) transient expression systems for protein production
- Perform protein purification using a broad variety of chromatographic methods utilizing FPLC/AKTA systems
- Produce, engineer, label and/or optimize protein reagents for use in biochemical and functional screening assays
- Manage CRO workflows and progress on protein expression/purification related projects
- Generate, analyze, document and communicate complex data
What you’ll bring
- Master's (+ min of 5 years' relevant experience) or PhD (+ min of 2 years' relevant experience) in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or related field
- Solid record of productivity and success in the optimization of all aspects of the production of mammalian proteins
- Excellent working knowledge of protein expression and purification techniques, protein structure and stability
- Proactive and highly self-motivated with strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organization skills with the ability to work independently and in a fast-paced team environment
- Industry experience
- Prior work experience in an antibody-development setting
- Experience with protein analytical characterization such as SEC, RP-HPLC
- Prior experience in protein production support for structural biology group
- Prior experience in in vitro and binding assay development
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by Glassdoor as one of the Best Places to Work in 2019, MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.