What will you be empowered to do?
Tech Lead, Back Office
Sunnyvale, California, United States
23andMe’s Backoffice team is looking to hire a Tech Lead who will help create and grow applications that support our business units across Marketing, E-commerce, Sales and Finance. As a lead, some of your responsibilities will encompass the following: software delivery ownership for your group through code reviews, mentorship, personal contribution, and continuous improvement and evangelizing of our technical practices. You will relay insights to your manager on your team, guide software engineers on group for project deadlines, collaborate with the recruiting team through resume review and interviewing, and facilitate operations that our engineers are following our engineering processes.
You will guide and design compelling new features, and contribute innovative solutions to challenging engineering problems to make those features real and perform. You'll lead by example and share your product delivery wisdom, wit, and experience across the team. Join our growing team and enjoy a collaborative environment with small project teams working on a variety of tasks ranging from web and application development to genotype data processing. You will be leading our efforts in building and scaling applications to streamline and automate our business processes.
Who We Are
Join 23andMe in our mission is to be the world's most comprehensive source of personal genetic information. We are looking to bring on an outstanding leader who wants to build out and push the boundaries of technology and science. This opportunity is for someone that finds satisfaction in solving unique problems but also strives to be a multiplier to the engineers around them. You will have a hands-on role where you get to shape how technology is developed at 23andMe and help invest in the engineers who build it!
While our Engineering team is based in Sunnyvale, CA this position is open to remote work, and we will consider exceptional candidates throughout the United States.
What You’ll Do
- Demonstrate and orchestrate technically excellent design and code and quality across multiple releases.
- Provide technical mentorship to staff.
- Create opportunities for yourself and others to design high quality solutions to a variety of technical problems following established 23andMe practices.
- Guide your group’s sprint planning and epic creation. You mentor other engineers and are a primary code reviewer.
- Value cross-group coordination. You contribute stellar code that stands as a strong example to others in the group.
- Propose and prioritize projects to address “core engineering” issues within your group.
- Have demonstrated mastery of the subject matter relevant to your group.
- Have meaningful participation in software design proposals and reviews.
- Demonstrate the ability to recognize and guide group members on when to ask for help and when to dig in and figure things out.
- When reality dictates, you have the conviction to push back and express your point-of-view, even when others disagree.
- As an expert technologist, you strive to foster curiosity and continuous learning in the area you are an expert in through the sharing of technical information among group members in retrospectives, workshops, demos as well other events.
What You'll Bring
- BS in Engineering or related field with a minimum of 8 years’ industry experience
- Experience from the project planning phase to delivery
- Experience building financial application products (Order Management, Billing, E-commerce)
- Experience mentoring other engineers
- Experience with methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban
- Comfortability operating in a collaborative environment
- Knowledge of Python or significant exposure to different programming languages and paradigms
- Experience with relational databases, database design, and data modeling
- Experience with automated testing, deployment processes and tools
- Understanding of web security and cryptography concepts
- Experience with Jira
- Experience with microservices and distributed systems
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back